Floor Jet EGR

-

Thrashard340

Reaction score
This topic was subject of debate on another forum. I have a 1973 Duster340. Do I simply swap intake manifolds to do away with these things? Or will I find a nice surprise when I remove the stock manifold. Will this improve performance?

I'm not sure what's to debate about a EGR valve but it's just an emmissions device that introduces exhaust gas into the intake system to control emmissions and it does hamper performance some at part throttle. It was a basically a prehistoric device that is now done away with because they've found much better ways to control emmisions. If you live in an area where emmisions testing is done you better keep your vehicle as built or it may not pass emmisions. If your lucky like me and don't have emmisions to worry about pull that sucker off and put a better manifold on it. And no there is is no reason you can't pull it off. No surprises lurk below. Really the stock spread bore manifold is not a bad performing piece. But a Edelbrock Air-gap will do better and it's shedding lbs.

The truth of the EGR valve is this.The EGR valve is used to reduce the cylinder chamber temperature on accellaration by introducing exhaust gas into the air/fuel mixture as its being drawn into the cylinder,and taking up the pace or some of the incoming fresh air,this reduces the cylinder temp to avoid pinging on accellaration/dentation,Mrmoaprtech

If your intake has floor jets, you can simply remove them, and install pipe plugs into them. That's what I've done on my 400s before. It remains visually correct (leave the valve, switch, and tubing in place) for smog inspections, but lets you modify the tuning easier. Here's a section from Wikipedia about it. It works at cruise, and light throttle, not full throttle or idle. Kind of like vaccum advance.

"EGR in Spark-Ignited (SI) Engines
In a typical automotive SI engine, 5 to 15 percent of the exhaust gas is routed back to the intake as EGR (thus comprising 5 to 15 percent of the mixture entering the cylinders). The maximum quantity is limited by the requirement of the mixture to sustain a contiguous flame front during the combustion event; excessive EGR in an SI engine can cause misfires and partial burns. Although EGR does measurably slow combustion, this can largely be compensated for by advancing spark timing. Contrary to popular belief, EGR actually increases the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses. fqf
Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is relatively minor compared to the first two.
EGR is typically not employed at high loads because it would reduce peak power output, and it is not employed at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle."

-
Back