floor pans

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I'm getting ahead of myself, I should have the floor pans this week, but after reading the discussion about glueing or welding , i will be learning to weld. Is this very difficult as I have never had a desire to learn to weld. Also, someone had said you could purchase an inexpensive welder and needed equipment from Harbor Tools. What would I be looking to purchase? I don't have a clue what I am looking for, so thanks for helping. Is there a tutoral somewhere which may give me insite into what I am doing. I'm not in a hurry, As this project is into it's second year now.

I don't think I'd waste the money on a welder from HF. Also I wouldn't consider learning how to weld on the floor pans...It would be worth it for you to find someone who can help you out instead of wasting time & money trying to learn on poor equipment...

I was following some advise from another post

Good for you learning a new skill, your gonna use it a lot now, that's just how it goes... :)

*Flux core welder
*The inexpensive auto darkening hood,
*A big wire brush, and few little black wire brushes,
*A Couple pair of cheap gloves leather gloves,
*The cheap 4 1/2 grinder
*The 10 pack of: 4" flap wheels, cut off wheels and grinding wheels.

Safety glasses
Safety glasses
Safety glasses
Ear muffs
A box of paper masks
It's also nice to wear a bandana.

**You may want to pick up an extra spool of flux wire, there isn't a lick of difference between .030 and .035. I usually do .035

Some tips: 5/16 is the standard size hole. Keep the torch about 1/4" above the work, keep it close distance makes heat. When you weld plug welds, put the welder on "HI" and the wire speed about 2.5-3. Start in the middle of the hole and build a pool and drag it around slowly working in a circle, practice before hand to get the jest of it. Once you get it you get it.

When you do get around to getting the pan in, before you weld:

Make sure each weld you do is tight, because space between the top piece and bottom will create a blow through and you'll be chasing it all day, so:

* Make the pan fit as well as possible, the better the fit, the better the final product.
* Use self tapping screws to keep the pan tight.
* Use a socket extension and a BFH and tap each hole so it creates a small 'bowl' for the hole your welding, and makes sure the pan is nice and tight.
* Skip around so you don't build up too much heat in one area.

Lastly, use some quality 1k urethane seam sealer, like ultrapro or tiger seal, on eBay. 1-2 tubes should do it. Be liberal.

I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting so feel free to PM. I did my whole project with this welder and it's solid and does the job. People are gonna poke fun and all that, but it's the real deal.

I'm all about learning new skills...I was just speaking on experience not being negative..I tried a HF welder & took it back...it really isn't that much to buy a better one online from someone like weldingmart and you will find the learning curve much easier...Also since the floors are considered structural in the unibody, I would practice on some waste metal before experimenting on new floor pans..
I was also lucky enough to have an experienced welder pop in on me and gave me simple invaluable advise that made a huge difference in the learning curve. One trick is to use a piece of brass under the weld seam when you can get at it to help where you need to fill..and I agree the auto darkening helmet and safety glasses are a must..

I am still a way off from actually completing this project, but trying to learn before I screw something up. Thanks for the advise.

Yeah I wouldn't buy one of those cheapy HF welders...especially if you are just learning. I'm sure a seasoned pro could get them to work decently but you are going to be struggling with just learning how to weld on your own and you don't need crappy equipment throwing another wrench into it. I'd go with Hobart or Lincoln for a cheaper but still decent quality mig welder. Get one that can be hooked up to gas. It's not totally necessary for floor pans but you don't want to end up having to buy another welder in the future if you're going to be doing welding on the body.

Just remember to get things clean clean clean. My first welding project was doing two front floor pans. The problem was the transmission hump was pretty rusty but not rusted all the way through. I got it as clean as possible but it just didn't weld very nicely along there. Both pans looked real ugly when I got done with them but oh well it was my first time trying and at least they're hidden under carpet lol.

I disagree with some above post, lots of guys here on FABO have bought the HF welders and most of them have good things to say.. That being said, my dad has taught me along the way how to weld and neither of us are experts but welding in floor pans that NO ONE will ever see is a great thing to learn on... Run through my build and check out the floor pans we did.. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=118103&page=2&highlight=dads+duster

I guess it all depends on budget. When I did my floors I had NO welder, I didn't have the extra cash to spend on a nicer one. Soooo, I bought the HF flux core wire welder. I used it to put the pans in my Dart, and will be using it again to do the pans in the car I just picked up for the wife.

Are there better welders out there? Absolutely. If you have the extra, spring for a better one that you can run gas with, it would be a good investment. If not the HF will do the job, however, it will be somewhat messy with all of the splatter from the flux core wire. I just do some clean up when I'm done.

As far as learning the welding process I would get some thin sheet metal and butt two pieces together and play away. You will soon learn what to do and not to do.

As always when welding thin sheet metal it is better to stitch weld it, do a small length and move to a cooler area and do it again, once it gets too hot you will get "blow through", repeat the process until you have them completely surrounded, lol.

welding shops rent welders too. you could get the old pans all cut out and the new pans in place and go rent a good welder. for a first timer i would rent a millermatic 211 auto set. you just turn the "heat" dial to what thickness of metal your welding. floor pans are 18ga. i think. then you just pull the trigger and its welding. get on youtube and watch some videos. you will not learn to weld just doing that but it does give you some ideas. the local welding shop might even spend some time and give you some pointers.

thanks for the advice. It will be sometime before I am ready, but making plans now. Replacing brake lines today and am really glad I had not driven the car. The lines literally fell apart when I started to move them.

you can also take a welding course at a local vocational college. I knew how to weld half *** decent and still took a course. cost $250 and i learned alot. it also showed me things that i thought i was doing correct were wrong. just a thought.

Thats a great idea, except for time restraints. I have returned to the work force and manage a retail store where I work 11 hour days. I am off Sunday and Monday. Sunday is church and family and Monday has yard work, household work, and preparing dinner, so don't really have time for much anymore. Really thought I would be retired on disability but Washington said no, I could do something. Anyway, I'll get finished someday

-
Back