floorpans glue in or weld in

-
Reaction score
Got a full set of floor pans today and was wanting to get a feel from everyone as to gluing them in or welding them in. I know there are some high tech adhesives out there and they are being used more in the auto industry.
Thanks
Richard Kennedy
PS are there any mopar folks in the Raleigh Cary Apex area in NC

If all your flanges are straight and clean. If you can clamp, screw or somehow hold everything together until fully cured.

I would not be afraid of panel bonding a floor in.

But you must use a quality panel bond made for that kind of application.

I just don't believe that floor pans are the place for glueing panels together, Just my 2 cents worth.

Floor pans form part of the car's structural integrity. Unlike a body panel which adds ridigidy but is not relied on for structure. Would definately weld floor pans but would consider adhesive for body panels.

They have structural adhesives. You would be surprised how some new cars are "glued" together.

Modern, automotive, structural, adhesives offer a 100% bonding area vs spot or plug welds which are spaced out.

Another benefit of a modern, automotive, structural, adhesive is added corrosion protection within the bonded joint.

the whole car was built with welding, i'm not puttin my butt in it....welding has sheer strength...what does panel bond have??? prolly ok for cosmetic stuff but I'm a gonna pass,I seen a lot of places that stuff would be great to use......my welder needs a new emblem, simple test, take a air chisel and try to remove a floor pan.....even in pieces......then do the same with panel bond...Omg we could switch floorpans like underwear!!!!!!!! JUst Sayin

use the two together and you would have something....I'm thinkin modern technology can't keep up with old school in some instances

I agree with Waggin, if you could do both it would be a pretty big leap forward in providing protection to the whole Joint area. I have been looking into doing somthing similar with my Daughters '65 Cuda. I am going to keep an Eye on this.......:happy1:

What does panel bond have? Higher strength than the base metal, the metal will fail before the bond will.

I think I saw an Artical in one of the bigger Mopar publications where they did this..... on a Project Car.....can't remember......:banghead:

wow I was not expecting this much response. There was an article on fabo that had a link to one of the mopar magazines where they glued the pans in.
The used screws every two or three inches to pull the metal together and having all those screws under the car is a concern to me. I think the sheer strength of the bond is rated higher than the metal. I can weld and I do have a welder so I will most likely go that route.

Thanks for all the input FABO has been a great source for this project.
Richard Kennedy

once the panel bod is set up remove the screws and weld up the holes....best of both worlds
wow I was not expecting this much response. There was an article on fabo that had a link to one of the mopar magazines where they glued the pans in.
The used screws every two or three inches to pull the metal together and having all those screws under the car is a concern to me. I think the sheer strength of the bond is rated higher than the metal. I can weld and I do have a welder so I will most likely go that route.

Thanks for all the input FABO has been a great source for this project.
Richard Kennedy

Hi Richard, I am in Kernersville, about 1 and 1/2 hours from your area

If its an early A, make sure you have panels that fit correctly.

the whole car was built with welding, i'm not puttin my butt in it....welding has sheer strength...what does panel bond have??? prolly ok for cosmetic stuff but I'm a gonna pass,I seen a lot of places that stuff would be great to use......my welder needs a new emblem, simple test, take a air chisel and try to remove a floor pan.....even in pieces......then do the same with panel bond...Omg we could switch floorpans like underwear!!!!!!!! JUst Sayin

You'd be suprised. Bonding adhesive is just as strong in the sheer as it is in separation. Plus, to the guy installing floor pan, your going to install frame connectors right? Boom, no more structual issues.

If you do install them, as you very much should, You don't have to cut up the pan, like I see a-lot of folks doing. I got my 2x3 in there width wise tight to the pan, and welded in, never thought once to touch the pan.

once the panel bod is set up remove the screws and weld up the holes....best of both worlds

Panel bonding adhesive is flammable, and it's not recommended you weld after installation, keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

I wouldn't worry about the strength of the panel bonding adhesives if the proper one is used, as many have said most new cars are put together this way and the bond strength exceeds the strength of the metal in most cases. Its also used quite a bit in the Aerospace industry, so think on that if you've taken a flight on a new airplane, as most have composite panels and use panel bonding adhesives to attach them.

My only concern would be that the panels weren't originally intended to be bonded, same with the replacement panels, so you may not have the surface area or fit that you would want to in order to use the panel bonding method as its intended.

That and I actually think spot welding them back in would probably be the faster, more straightforward way to go if you don't already have experience using the panel bonding adhesive.

Panel bonding adhesive is flammable, and it's not recommended you weld after installation, keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
thanks for answering one of my questions. Other one is lets say you were to weld the screw holes shut, will it alter the bonding agent in any way?

Also, if you do weld after using the adhesive, be careful with the fumes given off by the adhesive, may be very toxic .

I hear scotch tape does a nice job.

thanks for answering one of my questions. Other one is lets say you were to weld the screw holes shut, will it alter the bonding agent in any way?

I wouldn't weld the holes shut after bonding. You'll burn off the bonding adhesive near the welds, which will give off nasty fumes and reduce the amount of surface area you have bonded.

If you're that concerned about the screws, remove them and cover them with seam sealer, the panels will be plenty strong without them. Or just leave them in and knock the points off with a grinder so they don't catch you when you're working under the car.

-
Back