Flowmaster Super 40 vs. Original 40

-

68Darthawaii

Reaction score
I currently have a nice 2.5 inch true dual system with H-pipe and Flowmaster Original 40's. My 68 Dart GT has a cammed LA 360, Hooker Super Comp headers, etc.... I love the loud exhaust note my Dart produces. But because it resonates into the vehicle, my ears are ringing. I like it, but thinking about my hearing at the same time. Anyone out there using the Super 40's with this kind of set up???? They have the Delta Flow Technology and it won't resonate as much through the vehicle. Iam afraid the Super 40's would quiet down the car a bit because the casing is an inch bigger in diameter. Still want it to have the same loud exhaust note on the outside. Thanks!!!

If your ears are ringing I may be in trouble. My 69 383 S has 11.5 to 1 compression and Hooker supercomp fenderwell headers. This spring I am putting on a completely new 3 inch system with an H pipe and Dynomax Ultraflo race mufflers. I may go to 2½ inch for the tailpipes if the 3 inchers are too much of a pain to fit and neck down to factory tips. I guess this thing is going to be LOUD.

2shelbys said:
If your ears are ringing I may be in trouble. My 69 383 S has 11.5 to 1 compression and Hooker supercomp fenderwell headers. This spring I am putting on a completely new 3 inch system with an H pipe and Dynomax Ultraflo race mufflers. I may go to 2½ inch for the tailpipes if the 3 inchers are too much of a pain to fit and neck down to factory tips. I guess this thing is going to be LOUD.
Sweet!!!! You have a pic of her?????

Dynomax Ulta-Flo's are the only way to go. I switched out my Flowbastards for the Ultra-Flo's and I'll never go back to the Flowmasters.

i had the 40 series just a little to much noise in the car i tried the new 50 series and i lovee them . i have ran the flowmaters for years and always will

Thanks for your help. I should re -phrase the question. Does anyone have Super 40's installed in there A-body??????

Thanks

Dusterb318 said:
Dynomax Ulta-Flo's are the only way to go. I switched out my Flowbastards for the Ultra-Flo's and I'll never go back to the Flowmasters.

:thumbup: Thats what im running myself and love them...

What Ultra-Flow model are you guys using??? SS Performance,etc.... Iam getting very interested in the Dynomax.

I run the welded ones.....

hpipe3.JPG

Ok. Checked out Dynomax website. The SS is milder in sound and the Welded is the louder one. I will go see my exhaust guy today. He is a Dynomax dealer.

68Darthawaii said:
Sweet!!!! You have a pic of her?????

I have more pics of the car than I do of my family.

383S.jpg

I bought the same welded Ultraflos that Dusterb318 has.

2shelbys said:
I have more pics of the car than I do of my family.

383S.jpg

I bought the same welded Ultraflos that Dusterb318 has.
COOL!!!! I gave it some thought and gonna keep the current set-up. I only drive her 2-3 times a month. So not cost effective to change out mufflers. Maybe next year I'll try the Dynomax's. Thanks!!

Yea, I'm running the 2 1/2" Dynomax welded and they are loud with almost no restriction. You can easily tell that when you're standing behind the beast and your pant leg is flapping like a flag. But that being said I do have a harmonic right at 2400 rpm so ya just got to stay above or below it. I do love rumbling up beside the Stangs a shaking and a rocking. :burnout:

Terry

P6020033 (Custom).JPG

It sounds like these Dynomax Welded muffs are louder than the Flowmaster Original 40's???? But without the resonance.

well i will throw my feelings in to.
I love the flowmaster 40's, but i love the noise. I have added sound deadener
under the rear seat and it helped with the internal resonance a little.

for what its worth...theres my opinion....

Good luck with your decision

-RPM

what about the dynomax superturbo i think they are called behind a set of headers with 2.5 xhaust any good? thanks

I have flowmasters on my 1974 Satellite Sebring Plus 340 and I love them! I run Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust, Headman Hedders X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series. I don't believe that any muffler can sound any better!! I will admit they are a little loud in the car when driving but then again, it is a performance vehicle. I am using the same mufflers on my 1966 Valiant 340 project too! What can I say, the sound they produce kicks ***!! :thumbup:

68Darthawaii said:
It sounds like these Dynomax Welded muffs are louder than the Flowmaster Original 40's???? But without the resonance.

No they aren't louder. The Dynomax Welded Race Magnums have a nice deep powerful tone, very little reasonance but still bark nicely at WOT.

I also switched from Flowmaster 40's to Dynomax's very quickly as I wasn't happy with the Flowmaster sound.

With full exhaust and a lopey cam they sound like a performance car should sound. :thumbup:

-
Back