Flushing cooling system

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This question os for my dd, so if nees be mods may want to move this. I've flushed cooling systems on an engine with cast he adds by using powdered laundry detergent with good results. I drain rad and add water with some detergent. Run up to temp. Drain and redo as needed.
Would there be any issues using same process with an engine that has aluminum (heads etc)??
Thanks all

This question os for my dd, so if nees be mods may want to move this. I've flushed cooling systems on an engine with cast he adds by using powdered laundry detergent with good results. I drain rad and add water with some detergent. Run up to temp. Drain and redo as needed.
Would there be any issues using same process with an engine that has aluminum (heads etc)??
Thanks all

I cant see it your washing machine has aluminum in it they last 4 years now back then 20 years.

I used the HE Tide for front loading washers because it doesn't suds as much

Thanks all

It works,be careful ..?What mill? It might agitate head gasket seal,and other cooling system products...

I use citric acid, bought on ebay. That is what used to be in the better Prestone flushes until they became wimpy. 1 lb per flush is ideal. But, many ideas out that. Some even use phosphoric acid, but I wouldn't.

Cooling systems have a tendency for electrolysis. Before you flush next time take a DVOM set for MV and place one probe on the filler neck and the other suspended in the coolant. You will usually get some voltage if your system hasn't been flushed or cleaned in a while. A combination of corrosion over time and voltage being pulled through the block during start up etc... Acid is the real culprit so often a base like baking soda can be used when flushing to help neutralize the acidity. I do not recommend any type of corrosive "flush". Distilled water is a must when refilling.

-
Back