flux core wire

-

rt7413

Reaction score
hi just wondeing if flux core wire will work welding in sum patchs??? or does going with other wire and sheilding gas make a big difference??

I've been using flux cored wire to do my patches and it seems OK, not great mind you, In my experience it creates more slag than solid wire/gas combo.
it make for a little more work in cleaning up the welds and getting ready for paint and such. You'll be using the grinder alot or maybe I should turn down my wire speed.

I'm using a 110v welder with .030 wire and heat set to 1 and voltage set to low wire speed 2.5
don't know if that helps but I like more info as apposed to less.

keep in mind I'm no "Louie the welder"

I second player1 on this one. One other thing is the heat. My welder is very similar to the one player1 used, and it had a tendency to burn a hole. I had to make very short bursts and leave time to cool.

The arc from flux core wire is hotter than solid wire for a given setting. Also, the flux tends to spray off the end of the wire. Both these conditions make it tough to weld thin sheet metal without blowing a lot of holes.

My wife picked up a cheap flux core wire welder for me and I though I would never learn to do a decent weld on sheet metal until I signed up for an adult education class in welding where I got to use solid core wire with a sheilding gas. What a difference, by the end of the 10 week class I could butt weld 22 gauge steel with ease.

First purchase after the class was a decent Lincoln unit and a bottle of CO2/Argon mix gas. I haven't looked back since.

so its alot nicer to weld with gas than fluxcore wire . gas give ya nicer weld?

Yeah ,the flux core is really for welding outside with wind blowing. I`d avoid it if you can and use an inert shielding gas.Like everyone says the welds are much smoother and easier to control.

I read in a Street Rodder magazine that the polarity of the welder had to be changed if you went from solid wire w/ gas to flux wire. They even showed a picture how to do it. All I know is when I put flux wire in my mig welder, I couldn't weld worth beans.
Rod

rklein383 said:
I read in a Street Rodder magazine that the polarity of the welder had to be changed if you went from solid wire w/ gas to flux wire. They even showed a picture how to do it. All I know is when I put flux wire in my mig welder, I couldn't weld worth beans.
Rod

What you read was right. Under the cover of my welder are two large plastic knobs, one for the ground and one for the tip. Just spin 'em off and swap cables.

Gas and .023" wire. When I switched over to that from flux core it was a huge difference.

found this out on the web, for clarification. Great thread guys

I had the same problem for about .... well I wont say how long...
just read the manual.. :toothy7: .. I know I know that;s crazy talk

welder hookup.JPG

FWIW, The more upscale machines will have a switch on the front panel to reverse the polarity. The Lincoln 3200HD I have requires you to swap the cables like the picture.

OK so for flux, it's equal or the same as making use of gas and smaller wire.
(OK, I'm just as lazy, I could have gone out in the snow to the garage and read this)

dgc333 said:
I signed up for an adult education class in welding where I got to use solid core wire with a sheilding gas. What a difference, by the end of the 10 week class I could butt weld 22 gauge steel with ease.

I'm using .023 and CO2/Argon mix, power set on 1 and wire speed at 10 and I have a hell of a time trying not to blow holes. Tacking is no problem but if I try and buttweld any longer than 1/2 inch or so then she blows through. Welder is a Hobart 135. Sure wish I could butt weld 22 guage. How long are your welds and are you using a heat sink on the back side?

Might try and speed up the wire feed to see if that cools the arc down.

when welding patch panels or any sheet metal tacking and trying not to get the sheetmetal to hot the key??? to not warping any panels?

Brambles said:
I'm using .023 and CO2/Argon mix, power set on 1 and wire speed at 10 and I have a hell of a time trying not to blow holes. Tacking is no problem but if I try and buttweld any longer than 1/2 inch or so then she blows through. Welder is a Hobart 135. Sure wish I could butt weld 22 guage. How long are your welds and are you using a heat sink on the back side?

Might try and speed up the wire feed to see if that cools the arc down.

1/4" tacks alternating ends until you complete the weld. I use 0.023 wire and a 75% C02 25% argon mix. I use what ever setting is recomended by the welder (mine has a nice table under the cover) and will vary the wire feed as needed.

-
Back