Fly cutting

-

bigdemo1

Reaction score
Anyone ever cut their valve reliefs while pistons are still installed,I've looked at every thread I could find but their doesn't seem to be much written on LA smallblock.I've also looked at the Isky and Lindy cutters and decided to make my own,anyone done this?And I have an old head that I will be cutting in half to ease the lifting aspect as the motor is still installed,thoughts?

I have also thought about fly cutting with the pistons installed and I couldnt come up with a really good way to contain the shavings without getting them everywhere. Making your own cuttter would be easy just weld a precut piece of very hard steel to an old valve you have lying around.

dont hughes rent the tool to do that while its in the car??? i think they do my be something to look at..

Smear grease all over the piston, thick.

Play Doh works good and you can just chuck it when done.
Easier to clean up.

That will only keep the shavings out of where they dont belong.
I like the grease idea because it seems like it would keep them all right there.

Think I'm going to tape the hell out of it at TDC or slightly below,also for the cutter I will probably fuse(tig torch)an old file(.125 thick x .750 wide long)to the old valve face,leaving it about .100"longer on one end so I can grind a nice face on it at approx..060"longer to give me radial clearance.Also I will grind a triangle to the top of the stem with the point of the triangle facing the cutting point on the face allowing me to index my cutter.I like the grease and playdough ideas though,also I'm thinking about having my jig(old head)cut along it's length at the upper head bolt holes this would expose the chambers and allow me to see the cut as well as shop vac the shavings.As the valve guides are only guides and there are no real loads on the jig and the lower bolts should hold it fine.More thoughts please.

I cant remember exactly but I think you are supposed to have .060 intake valve to piston clearance for and .100 for exhaust when you are all finished. One of the great things about FABO is the knowledge that others are willing to pass along. I would have never come up with the "grease" idea.

When i did it, it was on my buddys 383, that had to tight of valve to piston clearance.......and it was NOT at TDC.

we welded a bit from a brake lathe to a old intake and exhaust valve. then, attached a drill and let the chip fly.

Afterward, we vac up most of it, then, added oil to the cyl. and keep running the piston up and down, wiping the trash out of the cyl. after each stroke.

Thinking about it now, I like the clay idea better !:cheers:

Why couldn't a person hook a shop vac to open port you have? The shavings will be both small and light.

Whip

-
Back