Flywheel help

-

lead69

hopeless car junkie
Reaction score
Im looking at buying a flywheel and the guy gave me a part number 2264598,I havent looked at it and it seems to no longer be a good part number.Is this a cast or steel flywheel?-thanks for any help.

As per Mr. Mopartech, that is a good flywheel to match up to any crank with a bit of work.

Originally Posted by Mrmopartech
First ,see if it fit the crank and bolts up.
Does the ring gear looks like it will come close to the starter to work.
The 360 from the factory had a special balanced flywheel,and are very rare to find.
Heres the cool news.Mopar has and so do I a list of pictures on how to use all the flywheels on any motor.
What happens is this,if you have a regular flywheel and want to install it on a 360,340,400,what ever,you get a hold of the pictures and drill at certain places and a depth that is set to balance the flywheel on any applacation.
If you have externally balanced motor and have a internally balanced flywheel,you can redrill it and have it perfect if you follow the instructions to the letter.
The mopar performance books have these diagrams in them if some has the mopar bible,I have 2 plus the full set of new books as well.
The flywheel to get and do this drilling is 2264598 to interchange to any motor as long as you drill it to spec.Mrmopartech

Thanks to Mr. Mopartech!!

Thats good to know but Im also curious to know if its a steel or cast?,thanks for the reply.

Lead69, I believe all Chrysler Flywheels are cast iron.
The actuall part no. for the flywheel you listed came up with a Big Block flywheel but that is all I could find.

Merry Christmas, and I hope that helps you.

lead69 said:
Thats good to know but Im also curious to know if its a steel or cast?,thanks for the reply.

Flywheels are/were available in steel, and aluminum. I am assuming that your question is more along the lines of if it was cast or forged. As far as I am aware all were cast. The aluminum flywheels that are available may come as a cast or forged option, but I do not think there were any forged steel flywheels, although I may be mistaken on that. What engine specifacly are you seeking a flywheel for?

Im actually needing a flywheel for a 340,but I was told by my builder to get a steel unit(I believe a forged).Im thinking it may be a little overkill though,out of all the mopar guys including my brother I know they are all running std. flywheels with zero issues into the lower 12/high 11s.I am running a lakewood bellhousing though,I guess it all comes down to what I can get reasonably,thanks.

hi.mopar perf lists a steel flywheel, made by mcleod clutch. it weighs 18 1/2 lbs. P4876047. all flywheels are either, cast iron or forged steel or aluminum. I prefer aluminum or the l/w steel wheels. cast can and will blow up.

thanks for the info,I just made a deal with my machinist to buy a good used steel flywheel off his 64 barracuda race car,thanks again.

I was looking into fly wheels about four years ago,I thought mine was wrong or out of balance,I have a 340 in a dart,anyway I remember them still being available from the dealer,a bit pricey though and it was a direct replacenent street fly wheel.

-
Back