Flywheel part#/ swapping from 273 to 360

-

Kidd

Reaction score
Hello all, My car is a 67 Barracuda w/ a 273-origionally a 3 speed car on column.
About 5 years ago( maybe 6 or 7) I broke the origional column shifter drag racing it...shocked?LOL So, having alot of extra parts I decided to put in a 4speed, and floor shifter.Had to find out the hard way from Brewers Performance that I neded a new bellhousing, flywheel, and incedentials.
Fast forward to now-The car runs and drives fine! BUT-I built a 1977 360 into a stout replacment.I am trying to gather everything for the swap and in doing so thought back to the flywheel I bought.....so my question:
Are there part numbers on the flywheels to distinct from internal and external? Can either flywheel be changed into the other? I DONT remember exactly what I bought from them, other than it is a 10 1/2,so I am trying to make sure of what I need to order from them again, as I need a pilot shaft bushing, and might as well do a Z-bar rebuild too.
Sorry for the long read, just trying to give all the info, and I am sure I missed something( my mind is faster than my fingers.LOL)
Thanks in advance!!Andrew/Kidd

Similar to a swap I did 318 to 360....flywheel can be drilled to match externally balanced 360....a good machine shop can do no problem.

Was the 360 built as a internal balance engine?

Looks like I will have to call the machine shop, and dig thru my reciepts to see what I can find.I built this engine after my mom passed away while building the drag engine for my 62 Valiant.....payed the 360 off, and 2 days later my father in law passed.Then....it has sat.Its all a blur. I do remember I bought a new scat crank for it.....geez,I feel like a heel that cant even remember! Sorry.....gonna start looking now before work.
Thanks for the help so far, I did buy a new Summit Balancer for it, I can get the numbers off it, and that could tell me alot.

OK, Summit Racing is a life saver!
Called them, and asked about the crank shaft, I bought a complete Scat rotating assembly.Internal Balance!!, I asked about the balancer, and yep, I bought that the following week.Internal balance. It looks like I need the flywheel to be ZERO blanced then?

If your motor is neutral balanced then the flywheel you have will work fine.Remember that the harmonic balancer has to be neutral balanced(like a 318) also. If you bought a new one they might have weights that can be added or removed to make them internal or externally balanced.

-
Back