Foggy instrument cluster lens

-

Gag_Halfront

Reaction score
I recently took apart my instrument cluster, cleaned everything up, re-painted the needles, etc... What I realized when I went to put it back together is that the clear plastic cover is all foggy. It looks like someone tried to clean it with something that reacted with the plastic. What is the best way to restore this clear plastic cover? It seems a shame to hide nice new instruments under a foggy lens.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

-- Gag

Get a loose buff wheel for your bench grinder and a stick of buff compound for plastic. You can probably find it at Lowe's. You can bring it back to a like-new finish with a light touch. Have to keep the part moving and watch the edges as it's very easy to overheat the plastic and burn or melt it. Deeper scratches can be wet sanded out before buffing.

Attachments

• Polished lens.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 160
  • clusterreassembled.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 194
Awesome! Thanks! There aren't really any deep scratches. It just looks like someone sprayed it with something to "clean" it and the chemical fogged the plastic.

I'll look for that plastic compound. Also, how did you re-attach the lens? It looks like I'll have to dremel away the melted studs to get it off the dash bezel. Did you just hot glue it back in place or something?

The pictured lens is for a c-body (just as an example) that used reusable metal push pins to retain the lens to the cluster. Not sure what you're working on but in most cases the lenses are removable.

I have the same issue basically there are plastic studs that the lens is placed on then they are melted/plastic riveted on. Gag_Halfront my concern is if we remove the plastic that holds the lens in place will there be enough plastic to reattach? I sort of thought about jbweld may work.

jhdeval: exactly right. I was thinking either a 2-part epoxy or hot glue. If you use hot glue it would be easier to take it back apart if there were ever a problem. Drawback is, I don't know how well it would work if you wanted it to be permanent and solid.

Is there anybody else who's done this on their A-body who has a tip for us?

Caferacer: indeed!

I'm kinda late but I did this with a full sized buffer. Not recommended but I have a ton of experience with them. You may have to pop yours out, sand them and buff them. You can get small 3" drill attachments to buff the lenses out. Get a wool pad type and a foam pad to polish after the wool. They should come out looking brand new.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40780&highlight=radio

The rallye lenses are held in the bezel with melted plastic pins and have more pices attached too. Lots more labor in those.
With a very small tip soldering iron, Apply light seperating pressure while heating directly in the center of the white plastic pins. You may need to alternate from one pin to another. I very often get a tiny white donut like ring of plastic that I could reuse If I didn't have donor ABS plastic on hand. Be sure to dress the remnants of those pins straight and round so the lens or parts seat properly be using the solder iron to re-bond.

-
Back