Fontana (Auto Club Speedway) Short Track - It's all about the money

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
JMO, but it sure seems that way to me.
I had season tickets to Auto Club Speedway for a bunch of years. We enjoyed both CART (Indycar) and NASCAR events at a fantastic 2-mile D-shaped oval.
Take a look at MSN to see what the property looks like now.
The last pic will show the future layout of the short track and the eight (8) commercial buildings that are planned.
Racing? Who cares? It's all about the real estate value and the money.

It's ALWAYs all about the money. Real estate values have destroyed countless race tracks, probably 15 in southern california alone.
And if it's not the value of the real estate, it's the sound complaints of neighbors that move in next to a track that they KNOW is there!
They killed any use of pomona for anything other than two national events. So I have a racetrack ten minutes away, that I can't use anymore.

I hope the new short track in Fontana is a huge dismall failure. If it succeeds, and kills the roundys at Irwindale, we lose the last drag strip in L.A. county too, again.

18.5 .million people, greater L.A. area. Currently one 1/8mi.strip. Soon to be zero?

Last edited:
I hope the new short track in Fontana is a huge dismall failure. If it succeeds, and kills the roundys at Irwindale, we lose the last drag strip in L.A. county too, again.

18.5 .million people, greater L.A. area. Currently one 1/8mi.strip. Soon to be zero?
just like Saugus

durr durr, My pRoPeRtY vAluEs!!11!!

yeah, the track has only predated your shitty 70's tract housing by 30 years, dumbass.

just like Saugus

durr durr, My pRoPeRtY vAluEs!!11!!

yeah, the track has only predated your shitty 70's tract housing by 30 years, dumbass.
My girlfriend at the time's sister and her husband rented a house in Ontario (california) for about a third of what the going rental rate was, BECAUSE it was directly in the takeoff flight path of Ontario Airport.
Then had the unmitigated gaul, to complain about the noise. To say I was disgusted.......
(The noise was saving them a minimum of $1000/month, and this was twenty years ago).

My girlfriend at the time's sister and her husband rented a house in Ontario (california) for about a third of what the going rental rate was, BECAUSE it was directly in the takeoff flight path of Ontario Airport.
Then had the unmitigated gaul, to complain about the noise. To say I was disgusted.......
(The noise was saving them a minimum of $1000/month, and this was twenty years ago).
twenty years ago?!?? jeebus, they must've damn near been *paying* them to live there!

all kidding aside, i'm sure the rate reflected that but the mere idea that it should be even cheaper is high comedy.

i looked at a house in a lovely part of burbank that was in the flight path. burbank had to cough up the dough and have everybody's windows upgraded for noise and while the house was perfectly serviceable and surprisingly quiet inside you literally could not have a conversation out in the back yard. and i mean, standing just a few feet away levels of things.

twenty years ago?!?? jeebus, they must've damn near been *paying* them to live there!

all kidding aside, i'm sure the rate reflected that but the mere idea that it should be even cheaper is high comedy.

i looked at a house in a lovely part of burbank that was in the flight path. burbank had to cough up the dough and have everybody's windows upgraded for noise and while the house was perfectly serviceable and surprisingly quiet inside you literally could not have a conversation out in the back yard. and i mean, standing just a few feet away levels of things.
It was a nice house. IF I remember, right, going rate was around $1500/month, they were paying $500. I'm sure you are aware, $500/month won't get you a portapotty in socal nowadays.
I'm sure they were happy with what they were paying, just didn't like the noise. I doubt they would have been willing to pay triple rent for some peace and quiet.

i looked at a house in a lovely part of burbank that was in the flight path... you literally could not have a conversation out in the back yard. and i mean, standing just a few feet away levels of things.
I had a girlfriend whose parents lived in the flightpath of MSP, and I couldn't hear her next to me on a bench when the planes went over the house.

I would love to live near a dragstrip, it would soothe the soul.

Last edited:
-
Back