Foot pump windshield washer

-

169dart4y

Reaction score
Hey Does anyone know how to prime the foot pump for a windshield washer . Mine is a 69 dart style. When I did the V8 swap I took the lines off for the squirters to pain the motor compartment. ever since I put it back together I can only get a little sprits of water to come out with pumping the foot pump. I tried to take the made water feed off the tank and blew threw it and got a nice stream to both sides of the windshield. Now I tried to pump the foot pump back full of water and no go, it just gurgles air any suggestions? Thanks Ted
frontmotorshot-1.jpg

I would guess you got some debri/ gum in the check valves in the pump. They should pretty much "self prime."

You might try rigging some way to "injet" some concentrated detergent/ water through it, syringe, etc

Well I took the main water feed off the water tank and blew though it and blew the water out of the foot pump to the windshield so it isn't clogged. You would think it would self prime ? I might have to get the compressor out and force the water into the pump from the tank.
I could put a blow hose on the compressor and hold my hand over the top of the tank full of water and see what happens them. :glasses7:

It doesn't sound clogged, but it does sound like the valve is not closing all the way, so it's probably on pushing a small percentage of the fluid. They always self-prime, otherwise imagine all the people that would be at the dealership back in the day because they ran their fluid dry.

Grant

You should be able to work the pump and "feel" with your finger what is happening at the hoses

Maybe the rubber is ruptured?

If the foot pump was ruptured wouldn't it leak water on the carpet or leak under the car from the hoses? I did try to pump it with my hand and yes it never seems to pull water from the tank. It could be the hoses but you would think they would leak somewhere especially when pumping .

I had the same problem. It turns out the ball bearings in the check valve were severely corroded and not sealing properly.

Internal valve failure.

• It won't leak

• It will pass water (as it did in your blow through test)

Problem is, when you step on it, the water goes both directions with most of it taking the easy route, back to the tank.

-
Back