For Sale: A-Body Fast Ratio steering box!!!!

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, Sales pitch on a typical manual box. T/A's and AAR's had a quick ratio power box but not sure of manual.

I agree, Sales pitch on a typical manual box. T/A's and AAR's had a quick ratio power box but not sure of manual.

A-bodies were offered with 16:1 quick ratio boxes from 66-69. I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for double current bid.

I don't see much of a sales pitch. They are very rare to find. The guys that like to race cars that handle do seek them out. And they will fit B and E bodies...

Would a quick ratio box be a pain in an BB A-body?

It's really depends on the driver. And the driveway and places it's driven. The front tires size make a big difference. Even front tire pressure.

My parents had a Fiero with manual steering and a super tight driveway. Just 5 pounds of front tire pressure could be felt.

Not sure about part number, but just turning it lock to lock will tell you. Manual steering boxes come in three different ratios; stock 24:1 5 1/2 turns, 20:1 4 1/2 turns (DC Kit Car box), 16:1 3 1/2 turns.

Why bother with any ratio manual box, they are all slower than the standard 15.7-1 power steering boxes. Firm feel level II boxes are the best of both worlds, excellent road feel and the fastest ratio available for mopars. If you present the weight savings argument it is probably a moot point on a street driven machine.

Well its all about appearance to some. Personally I wouldn't put anything in that doesn't look factory. I own a 67 big block car and I can't have power steering so this little box is like a dream come true.

Why bother with power steering! Our little cars don't need it. Nor do they need the leaks and extra weight. My car came factory equipped with power and I changed to a 20:1 manual box. No more over boosted, numb road feel, leaky power steering...just my opinion.

A-bodies were offered with 16:1 quick ratio boxes from 66-69. I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for double current bid.

I don't see much of a sales pitch. They are very rare to find. The guys that like to race cars that handle do seek them out. And they will fit B and E bodies...

I stand corrected. Good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back