For small business owners.

-
When the economy tanked a couple years back, I wondered the same thing except with business owner, if they didn't clench their cheeks because the experts said the economy was going down the toilet and the owners response was to start cuting back, pay freezes, job cuts etc, then causing the working stiffs to tighten the purse strings either out of necessity or fear.

I still believe it. Big business uses it for an excuse to screw the little guy. And Im guilty of making this politics. Sorry guys, LOL

Both business's down one side 60% off the other about 35%.The big customers are holding back and doing just enough to keep their people going.That is not to say the people that they had-all have dropped their people at least 50%.When GM Ford and Chrysler folded everyone took a hit.The van part of Gm is still going in Wentzville.They had a shift change and wanted to hire 80 people,a friend of mine that works for Gm said they had over 3000 applicants for the jobs.Is it great NO! This is the time of year that we are normally swamped and are looking for help. Worst times I have seen since jimmy carter.

I work at an auto parts warehouse as a supervisor.During "season" we are incredibly busy and when "season ends we notice a difference.We still manage to out sell the "competition" during the summer and I have never had to cut hrs. or staff since we opened 6 yrs. ago.Our business relies on the experience and personalities of the employees and I work with a great bunch of people.

You know if everyone would stop worry about what "they" say about the economy we would all be fine. LOL
Adam, I think that sounds a little naive. I think what we all need to be doing is finding out what the reality is & doing out own fact checking. The problem is the vast majority of the public doesn't take the time to form their own opinions based on fact & true information, but merely repeats what they heard at the water cooler or on the view:pukel:. If we all we more on top of things we(the general public) could prevent things from happening. Worry we should. Taking an informed approach would be better.

Adam, I think that sounds a little naive. I think what we all need to be doing is finding out what the reality is & doing out own fact checking. The problem is the vast majority of the public doesn't take the time to form their own opinions based on fact & true information, but merely repeats what they heard at the water cooler or on the view:pukel:. If we all we more on top of things we(the general public) could prevent things from happening. Worry we should. Taking an informed approach would be better.

perhaps you missed the lol part ? I was being sarcastic. but yes, to many people believe everything they are told instead of doing research.

Food prices have gone up 17% combined (last year and so far this year) I have resisted a price increase for the last 2 years but that is going to come to an end. Hell, I'm even getting charged a fuel surcharge of $6.00 from one supplier! Good post Spaz.....
One supplier? seems like All of mine find away to have fuel surcharge...just another way to make money, They even charge for grocery bags now here, 5cents each, what an insult after buying $500 worth of groceries, another way to rip us off....go to a corner store buy a pop and a bag of chips you get a bag NO CHARGE... WTF

How's work going lately?
Are things picking up, getting worse, steady, normal?

Funny but it seems that when you hear reports on the radio that the economy is terrible, the phone is dead, BUT if you hear reports on radio that the economy is getting better, the phone rings more.

I can't help to wonder if people are using TV and radio reports as their cue to spend money or if the economy really is picking up?

Maybe instead of advertising for our businesses...just run ads telling how wonderful the economy is getting.:D

Anyways, good luck to all you guys and gals that took the leap and risks involved to become independent and experience the hardest yet most rewarding of all freedoms.
I opened my shop in 08/2006 in Austin,Texas.
I run a small emission inspection station and do auto repair also.
The economy here has always been better than other parts of the US...but it finally hit us 2 years ago.
My shop has been rocking and rolling right along.When I hear on the news of layoff happening around Austin,I was worried but business never dropped off.
I discussed this with a friend and local auto repair owner and he explain that are customers are hunting down the small guy and asking their friends were do you get your car fixed...They are steering clear of the national chains and dealership too save money.
My monthly figures are off from 2 years ago but I still am busy.
Two years ago I was booked 2 weeks before I could look at your car,now it 3-5 days.
Of course state inspections are first come first service and an annual responsibility. So that is steady....
When I moved my shop last year inspections dropped a little but auto repair remained as usual,but due to no more street frontage.
My business is word of mouth,I tried some advertise at my new location due to it out of way location but found it to not help (mainly did it out of fear of moving and more bills).A local sign jockey sold me a sign that I hung in my office that says basically that Our business continues to grow from customer referrals ...Thank you (I can not remember what it all says)
That sign as paid off more than advertising that I have done !!!
The street my business on is called Regal Row and the area residents call it Mechanic row because of all the mechanic shop that have opened and closed on that street...There are presently 4 Auto Repair shops on that street and all larger than mine and I pass by them everyday and they have little to no work...
If you are running a small business in this economy and making it you are doing something right !!!
It's all about Customer Service

It's all about Customer Service

That is so very true. I always remember that most of my customers are working class people who have had to purchase a new appliance or who do not have enough cash laying around to buy a new appliance on the repair end. If there is any extra work to be done to get the job done or any materials to do so, I usually have a set price for services and parts. I do bend these rules from time to time.... especially if my customer is elderly. I have done work and supplied parts for free, but I do this on an as needed based on the situation. I look at it this way, What you give you will receive back tenfold.

Yeah man, you can't keep or get new customers in today's day and age if you treat people wrong.
It will be all over the Internet most likely.
I always go the extra mile but some people take advantage of that and from time to time I have to fire customers but that's another topic altogether.

I always use my wife as a gauge for what the masses might think about the economy. I read daily about it and apply what I learned in college and life to it. But when someone she knows gets a job somehow the entire job market is booming and unemployed people are just lazy....Or when a friend of hers sells their house the housing market is back in action and everything is grand.

This year I have applied almost all of my tool, car,hobby, and leisure purchases to private sellers, small businesses, or Made in America Companies and products. By next year I want to expand on that even further. Big respect to you guys who are weathering the storm.

perhaps you missed the lol part ? I was being sarcastic. but yes, to many people believe everything they are told instead of doing research.

I started a thread awhile back to try to dispel some of the misinformation by presenting good news:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=170839

Not for the faint of heart, as that thread is in the politics forum;) Sadly even good news was met with criticism.

My archery shop is dead slow because of the summer months even with the bowfishing kicked into high gear but the sign and decal business of mine has been running me ragged. Kind of works out well, during the winter I work 12 hour days selling and working on bows and during the summer I make tons of stickers. My mom owns a large flowershop and her business has only grown and grown. There is hope yet!

-
Back