For The 440 GURU's

-
with the stock RB deck height of 10.725", how much can you safely cut the deck? .050"? .080"? .100"? thanks in advance.

That's a good question, I don't think I've ever had more than .020" off the deck on the half dozen blocks I had done mostly just for trueing and finish. Is your question mostly to get the piston out of the hole to up the compression?

The question really is how far do you need to go to reach blueprint... Then how much further is safe. Shortening deck height is a lousy way to get compression... Dont forget to use washers under the head bolt heads.

depends on open or closed chamber heads, rods, piston ring land heighth and gasket thickness and i would stud it. too many variables for one number

I recall .040 in an old perforance book, any more and you also risk warp etc and weaking the block a lot.

depends on open or closed chamber heads, rods, piston ring land heighth and gasket thickness and i would stud it. too many variables for one number
i'm gonna be using 1.908" compression height pistons, along with 6.800" rods and a 3.915" stroke crank (offset ground journals to 2.200" [big block chevy size]). this would leave the -6cc dome pistons in the hole .050" so around 10.3:1 cr. the heads are 84cc close chamber aluminum. i assuming that .050" in the hole would make the engine very "ping" happy, and with a 50 cut it should place the piston .001" in the hole with about 11.3:1 cr and have the quench that i need. also using a .040" head gasket. and yes, arp heads studs would be used. so hence my question.. sorry i should have provided more info in the first place. thanks.

cut one much over .020 and you'll have plenty of fun getting the intake to fit unless you machine it also.

Why are you going to 'angle mill' bb heads?

I think the intake would be way off, in a bad way too.
I would imagine the runner angle/port angle would be cacked too.

for every .0062=1cc
for every .010 milled from chamber, mill .0123 from the intake side/port side.

I like the build though so far, I have the same 400 ld w/offset ground 440 crank going together this summer, I just need a few more parts.
I using [for now] ported 915 closed chamber heads, til I get to the next round of stealth head$ that come out, alway$ a budget for me...

so the cut on the intake face dosn't end up into crazy #'s. so a .050 cut on the deck shouldn't be a problem? i don't have $$ to burn either. but i do have all winter to do it so i can spread out the cash over time. mines just basically gonna be a re-engineered 440... bottom end wise. PS. i got a crazy deal on a set of Stealth heads so i'll give those a try.

Is it a 6cc full dome, a 6cc quench dome, or a flat top with a 6cc valve relief? Compression height is the pin centerline to the top edge... not the top of the dome. So if you haev true domes then the closed chamber heads may have a clearance problem at zero deck. Because the domes will extend up from the deck surface. I think you're on the right course I'm just trying to visualize what you have...

thanks.
pistons are full dome (not a quench dome) w/ valve reliefs. the pistons are 1.908" compression height.. center of pin to the top of the flat (not to the top of the dome). total volume of the dome is 6cc. with a 50 deck cut leaving it .001 down + a .040 gasket i think it should be safe.

Your one off pistons sound like the KB400 for a 383. If that's the case, you can use them in a 426 wedge or 413 RB block with that setup. You will want to be very careful with checking piston to head clearance. Any dome design can be a problem with RPMs or Stealths. More so with RPMs and thier angled plugs.

yah they are KB400's.. "one off" in referance for a 413 block. sorry if it seemed misleading. . should end up at 444cid with this combo. so do you think a .050 deck cut is safe?
PS.. man your good to figure out what piston that was..

talked with a mopar only shop today and he informed i could go all that way to an .080" - .100" cut. so i guess .050" is safe. thanks.

-
Back