for the carter guys... jetting and other q's

-

71beater

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Just picked up an old AFB #9626SA for my Dart. $25. Clean as a whistle inside and out (had it apart to check everything). Guy had it on his Lil'RedTruck.
Was wondering what ballpark jetting/metering rod set-up should be to go on my bone stock '78 318 in my '71 Dart. Edelbrock Streetmaster 318 manifold, 2-1/4" duals on stock manifolds. How about with headers and maybe a Comp Cams XE256H? Just looking to pep up the teen a little.
On another note, being new to this stuff (Cars that is,I wrench motorcycles full-time),I have to ask; I noticed behind the Fast Idle Cam there is kind of an upside-down T-shaped piece that swings loosely when the choke is closed or partway closed,preventing fully opening the throttles, though when choke is pulled off the Fast Idle Cam holds it out of the way... At least that's the way I see it. Am I correct in that assumption? Or does it do something else?
Any response appreciated ( I figure that someone else has run this combo in the last 35years, why not ask and listen...).

#9626SA was a 625 CFM AFB calibrated for a 1971 HP 383. It's probably too rich for your 318 and the air valve may open too soon and cause a bog, if you step on it too soon. Your assumption is correct on the secondary lock out. Since you have it bolt it on and give it a try.

I'm hoping for maybe a couple more responses.
This was last used on a 360 in a Lil'RedTruck and had been jetted for it(so I'm told).
I don't have the specs in front of me, but IIRC .073"X.042" needles, .102"primary jets, and .098" secondary jets ( jets checked with mic'ed shank of #drills), plain springs ( no finish or color coding). As mentioned before stock 318, 2-1/4" duals, Edelbrock 318 streetmaster, and 1/2" phenolic spacer.
From what I've read On Eddie site, I'm looking at similar to a 1405 two steps richer maybe...
And yes, I will be bolting it up and trying...
Any and all opinions appreciated.

Thanks again man...

Well, tuning a carb is a basic hot rodders taste to suite issue and it will vary from not only person to person, but season to season. How high you are/close to sea level.

Do you have a tuning kit?

I'd run the .098 pri. jet and adjust with rods from there. You'll probably run a rod 2 - 3 steps leaner. If anything, in this summer heat (OK, while it's not burning hot outside....) I'd make sure it is dead on to a slight rich at best. Come winter or just cooler weather, it'll come back into a better ratio to a slight lean.

Come night time in Philly, your running about 68* - 70* temps? You should be dead on if you can get it there then.

-
Back