For the future...Small or Big Block?

-

MoparFan

Reaction score
Hi,

maybe you will think i'm not thinking about the rigth thing yet, but i'm trying to figure out what to look for in this summer swap meet, and exposition...and junkyard.

So since I still have alot to do on the car...but mainly the drivetrain. Rigth now the car has a 318/2bbl, 904, 7-1/4 combo !!! I don't want to keep it that way.
Also since it's green and 4 doors, I want something to surprise the curious...That car will never have the look and value of a 2 doors, so I tought "What the heck...do something to do make it special!!" ... So it's either a good 350-400hp 360cid ... or it's the Big block way (383,400 or 440 don't know yet).

The front end is redone brand new with a late Dart disc brake setup. V8 crossmember.
So what do you guys think...Small or Big Block?
Is it much more expensive to work on a Big block?
Price versus equal performance?
Installation of a big block? Not that bad or it will be the worst experience of my life?

Thanks for the help :-s

Stick with the small block. a 360 will bolt right in. The big block will need a differant transmission, mounts, exhuast. 400 horse isnt all that hard to make from a good 360.

a big block 4 speed sounds nice to me, cause if you go big block, you cant keep the 904 anyway. Just get the Schumacher mounts for the big block.

'cause you did not have a slant six in your choice, i have to vote for the Big Block!
4-door and BB is great, my wife has '74 Valiant 4 dr and she has a 383 under the hood...

I have had both big and small blocks. I prefer the small block right now. You have to go with fits in your budget best.

Drop a 400 in her as it looks just like a 383. Dont need to stroke it as it will run easy 11's in the A-body without stroking it and looks stock like this one in my sons Dart ! Ron

88836750.jpg

I vote for big-block,but if you do go with a 383 or 400.
A 440 will make the car to nose heavy,plus you will have more room for exhaust!:toothy9:

Small block if you want 400hp.

If you want more? Stroker small block. Why put in a 400 BB when you can build a 408 SB??

I like the better handling of the SBs....if you're into that kinda thing, like me (I have 15x7s on the front for a reason).:wav:

BB's have the torque, and that might be whats most impotant in the end. Just do something cool

383man said:
Drop a 400 in her as it looks just like a 383. Dont need to stroke it as it will run easy 11's in the A-body without stroking it and looks stock like this one in my sons Dart ! Ron

88836750.jpg

That's just an superb engine/bay ... I guess I will have to read about all that much more, to really figure out the complexity of a Big Block installation.

@383man: what did you use to swap this engine? Schumacher Kit? What headders are you using? P/S? looks like manual brake? Was it a big mess to install?

I just like the idea of a BB 4 doors..:toothy8: :supz:

Last thing, is it more much more expensive to modify a BB than a SB?

....in the end it's always the wallet that drive the choices !!

Thanks Moparfan. It's my sons Dart. We used a stock K-frame from a 68 Cuda that was an original 383 car. And we used all stock motor mounts. Its really not a big deal to put a bigblock in an A-body now a days with all the kits out there if you dont have original parts. It has no P/S or AC. No P/B just front disc brakes from a 74 Dart. We also use CPPA 2" headers which are the same as TTI. Its a .030 over stock stroke 400 with a 727 and 8-3/4 with 3.91's. And my 19 year old son loves it. Ron

Where can we find these CPPA headers? Couldn't find any website. Can I ask how much they cost?

Also do you think a power brake setup would fit with that BB (the 400, should have keep the 400cid from my parents 76 Newport...:angry7: :banghead: )?

Thanks

THe CPPA are now made by TTI. Not cheap. I paid $499. for these in 1997. I think they are $550. or more now !! But they fit and work good. Ron

-
Back