For you Cummins drivers.......

-

dodgetkboy78

EDELBROCK HEADS SUCK!
Reaction score
Ever have the Duramax and Powerjoke guys pick on your Cummins?

They don't pick on mine for long.

Image0442.jpg

777,000 miles, do you live in your truck or something?????

Have you done any major work to it as in overhaul?

I almost live in my truck......... it is a 92 you know....... And no, no overhaul, timing cover has been off to fix loose case bolts and the KDP, and the turbo has been replaced. The 5 speed transmission is the one thing that had gave me fits.

As far as the rest of the truck, a little care, and the body has actually fared pretty well. Even the interior isn't that bad. No bad rattles, or chirps, the doors had to be replaced 140K ago, and I repainted it then. All in all, the whole truck has been great considering what I ask of it.

They got good motors in them. It's just to bad the rest of the truck falls apart around it.

I havn't had any problem with the truck falling apart around the engine.
128k on my 2003 3500, not a squeak or rattle in it. Bought it new with 5 miles on it.
I just recently took it on a 1500 mile round trip, only stopping for fuel. The truck ran for almost 25 hours, half of that towing a 5th wheel trailer. No flaws at all.
Had a 1993, only concern was ball joints @ 100k, also had a '95, same thing ball joints @ 100k.
My 2003 got the oem tires replaced @ 90k, brake pads frt & rr @ 110k, fan clutch @ 112k.
I feel this truck will feel & drive the same at 300k, thanks to a fully boxed frame.
That quote may have some truth about the trucks built in the early 90's, but don't really apply to the 2003 & newer Heavy Duty series.

I firmly believe if you could go down to the dealer and buy a Ford or Chevy with a Cummins in it they would never sale another Powerstroke or Duramax.. I dont think the body on the others is any better than the Dodge.

The 2nd gen Cummins body is superior, by far, but look what my first gen has done..... You would not believe how many trips this truck has running from Anchorage to Deadhorse.......

Very impressed with your truck for sure. I was at an auto auction last year, I seen a 2004 3500 1-ton. I thought it said 32k on the window.
Jumped in & started it, sounded great. I then looked at the odometer, 329k on it.
The Cummins is a stout piece for sure.

200,000+ on my 97 ram 3500, 1 trans rebuild, and a little rust on the pass side rocker below the door I need to fix,

I just picked up a 1 owner 92 W 350 with 260,000.Owner said engine was never apart. I was told to do the KDP and all the case bolts asap. Good idea? This thing was well maintained and don't leak a drop.

I got a 98 3500 150,000 on the clock no major issues a few scares but fixed them,ball joints, brake calipers,cracked dash,ac problems. I love my truck i would get rid of my cuda before i got rid of my truck.I have talked to guys with 1st gen trucks with lots of miles and they all say the same thing truck is falling apart around the engine i won't own any thing else but a ram with a cummins.

my '01 3500 chassis truck with walk in box weighs in at a touch over 11,000 lbs,,,,,,278,000 miles and the motor has never benn touched outside of a starter. The five speed just had a new main shaft replaced,and a new clutch but the motor is still grunting right along

777,000 is pretty dang impressive. I've got 270K and the original automatic in my '03 with no major issues. Replaced the ball joints and injectors which are both very common, but no squeaks or rattles.

Balljoints? HA! my A arm bushings have been replaced 3 times!

And MY truck is not falling apart around the engine, I do a little preventive maintenance on the body, and keep it well lubed.

-
Back