Ford 4.9 question. Yes ford question

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
I have an 88 f250 brick nose and I bought it with the smog pump disabled, the serpentine was changed to avoid the smog pump.

So now I'm changing it to a quick ratio manual steering so I need to delete the power steering pump and bracket which also has the tensioner.

Can I convert a serpentine setup to an older style fan belt because all I need is the altenanator and water pump, that's it. Truck does not have a/c compressor.

Not sure how to clean this up.

2009-01-22_021751_89_F150_4.9_belt_routing_ac.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

20240417_205659.jpg

20240417_205704.jpg

20240417_205712.jpg

20240417_205730.jpg

Last edited:
Just can the serpentine, get an older V belt alternator bracket and run one V belt.

Just can the serpentine, get an older V belt alternator bracket and run one V belt.
I wasn't sure if the pulleys would interchange with older ones.

Would I need a new altenanator or can I change the pulley?

I'm thinking a 78 or 9 ish 4.9 would have the v belt pulleys and brackets.

I need to get rid of the current altenanator bracket because it's the one piece altenanator/ smog pump bracket.

I want it to look clean and stock even though it isn't

I need to get rid of the current altenanator bracket because it's the one piece altenanator/ smog pump bracket.

You likely will need an earlier alternator. Plus of course the alternator brackets, and water pump and crankshaft V belt pulleys. You'll also need another water pump, as the one you have now spins counter clockwise.

Spitballen.

Change/make Alt bracket so it acts as the tensioner.
IF she could....and that's a good idea, but I am almost 100% positive none with the serpentine setup had an adjustable alternator.

Another way to do it and retain what you have is to find a power steering delete pulley. That would be a much cheaper way and then you would retain the serpentine belt. The water pump pulley would have enough wrap to work fine just running from the water pump, bypassing the air pump going straight to the alternator.

So far, I've not found a power steering delete bracket. Your best bet may be to go the V belt route.

Why do you have a Ford? I hear Valiants crying in the background.
When it comes to trucks, I like ford, can't beat the 300 in line six, thing is a beast.

I will buy ford or dodge trucks just the same. It's GM I don't really care for and absolutely no jap names, can't be a real cowgirl with a tundra.... LAME.

I prefer 90s trucks, so ford and dodge are almost the same to me, and I don't do diesel in either brand so the ford has the big block option which is cool. I have another ford with a 460 and I really like it.

I was searching too and not finding anything. Ford guys failed lol
I believe the issue is power steering was standard equipment and they all had it. So there was no reason for a P/S delete. Just a guess.

If you ever ride in a good tight sixth generation Ford truck, (like Gladys) I bet you won't go for that 90s crap ever again.
My favorite body style of ford is the brick nose (87 to 91) best looking truck ever made IMo. Made a bad *** looking big foot too.

That big foot is what made me fall for that body style in the first place, when I first saw that I thought, ABSOLUTE BADASSERY

3c89c065286fc8772b7ab6a9357ea54f.jpg

8b9e649eb5d82dc27cec8f69f7ada90e.jpg

This is a factory truck. It has the Highboy package. No lift kit. It's all stock.
HIGHBOY.jpg

can't beat the 300 in line six, thing is a beast.
My friends dad had one in an 81 f150 ranger, it was so loose you could move it around in the studs. Tightened it up and we solved the poor running issues! They are a good engine.
My favorite body style of ford is the brick nose (87 to 91) best looking truck ever made IMo. Made a bad *** looking big foot too.

That big foot is what made me fall for that body style in the first place, when I first saw that I thought, ABSOLUTE BADASSERY

View attachment 1716238569

View attachment 1716238570
I've always loved that body style. Maybe it was because that was the time I was coming if age with cars and trucks. Or it may have been the extended cab dually model kit I had.

If you can find the power steering delete deal, could you gut the air pump and use the tensioner as the diagram shows?

Change to V pulleys like @RRR said and fabricate/modify alt bracket to act as tensioner.

OR....

Keep the serpentine and.....oh wait, i already said that...

You might have to go back to the early 80s to find an F100 or F150 with a 4.9 and manual steering, my dad had an 81 long ago with a 4.9, 3 on the tree, and "armstrong steering".

I too like the bricknose generation, my 1990 Bronco.

Message_1504310599708.jpg

The only thing good about say mid late 80's to 93 Dodge is the drive train the rest of the truck can't hold a candle to a ford of the same vintage anyone who says different never worked as a fleet mechanic on both . the 68 TO 79 Ford trucks were maybe the best ever made .

-
Back