Ford 8 inch rearend swap

-
Good idea. I'm thinking it was a Mustang because the guy I got it from was a mustang guy and he got it when he bought some other guys pile of mustang parts. I'll look tonight. These things are inexpensive. I've seen them as low as $125 or as high as $300. But this is the only one I've found with 1:3.00 gearing.

Actually, that's 3.00:1. The drive shaft (pinion gear) number comes first. The "1" refers to the axle turning over one time. SO, that means drive shaft turns 3 times, rear axle turn once, so it's a 3:1 ratio. Decent gear for cruising. Ford did that a lot. 3:1, 4:1, and 5:1. Most Ford guys say "300 gear", "400 gear" and so on. Most other makes went 3.23, 4.10 but Ford rounded some of their gears off even like that.

That's the idea. I cannot be sure what car it came out of, but the guy listed it as 1964.5 v8... but he got it from a guy, who got it from a guy, etc. It's got 1:3.00 gearing and I think my valiant has 1:2.93(?) or something very close.

According to my notes, '65-66 Mustangs were 57 1/8" wide drum face to drum face for the 8" and the 9". Mavericks and Comets were at 56 1/2".

-
Back