Ford 8" rear end

-

schwinger

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
i heard that you can bolt up a ford 8 inch rear end out of a mustang or something else from 67 on down into a dodge dart without any problems except for the yolk thing but is this true or not?

There's probably not many guys on this board that knows what Ford stuff will work on our cars so you'll probably have to get out the tape measure and see if it's close enough to use. More than likely you'd have to have a custom driveshaft built even if it does bolt in.

Why don't you just look for a Mopar 8-1/4" instead? Their at least as strong as a Ford 8" and you can find them easily and priced good. A buddy of mine has one for sale right now with 3.21 gears and suregrip complete from drum to drum for $250 and it would be a direct bolt in. Only thing it needs is brakes rebuilt.

i would do like fishy said and stick with either the 8-1/4 or 8-3/4. the only 8 incher that would work ok is the 66 and down mustang, falcon and ranchero derrived cars. the ford 8" is not very sought after and most stepped up to the 9" years ago. plus there are a number of performance issues with an 8" like small bearings and weak axles to name a few.

ok then, just wondering about it, i have another rear end with 3.23 though but need axle bearings, but i like the more higher ratios like 2.73 which i have in right now or if i can find one even higher, that would be sweet, better gas milage and the engine lasts longer. dont like to have a high reving engine. thats just me though.

-
Back