Ford 9” in early-A?

-

chinze57

Push Button tranny and a Slant 6 that'll never die
Reaction score
I know putting Ford parts in a mopar is sacrilege. I’ll get that out of the way.

my mechanic has a Ford 9” sitting around, currently it has (I believe) 4.76 gears, which would get changed out for something much more manageable to daily drive.

We were chatting about possibly replacing the 7.25” rearend I’ve currently got, and there’s a 9” which could handle any power I could possibly throw at it.

Thoughts?

If I did go for it, what size would it need to be? I can take measurements off the 7.25”, but if anyone knows them that would help

Only downside is I'm sure you will be stuck with custom narrowed axles. I have two Lincoln Versailles axles, one under my 67 and it is within very little of being correct width, only needed correction by proper wheel offset.

I did not want to screw with big bolt pattern conversion on an 8 3/4, they are not prevalent in this part of the country, and I wanted a "punkin" so I can "easily" change gears.

I have a 9" narrowed to fit under Vixen. I need custom axles and to redrill drums, since I am keeping it small bolt pattern. I narrowed mine 50 1/8 for a tic more room.

I have a 9" narrowed to fit under Vixen. I need custom axles and to redrill drums, since I am keeping it small bolt pattern. I narrowed mine 50 1/8 for a tic more room.

Excellent info, since we’re both using the same year car. What size wheel/tire are you planning on running?

If you are gonna narrow a rearend, pick out the wheels and tires you want to run FIRST, then narrow the rearend so that they fit. If you want to move the springs, also do that first.

If you are gonna narrow a rearend, pick out the wheels and tires you want to run FIRST, then narrow the rearend so that they fit. If you want to move the springs, also do that first.

I’m honestly pretty undecided. I’m either going to run 15*7 mopar Rallye with 225/60 15 bfg whitewalls or stock 14” Rallyes with 195/75 14

they have roughly the same outer diameter which is the appeal. I’m not a huge fan of rake so it won’t give me that, while still giving me wider tires in the rear

What was the 9" out of? I've never run one myself, but I know people who have- early Mustang/Falcon/Mavericks are basically a bolt-in for A bodies.

What was the 9" out of? I've never run one myself, but I know people who have- early Mustang/Falcon/Mavericks are basically a bolt-in for A bodies.

I’m not sure. He picked it up last week because it was in good condition and cheap, figuring he’d find a use for it, else just clean it up and paint it and sell it

-
Back