ford 9 inch really?

-

66Dartdriver

Reaction score
So i am at a local car show the other night and this guy comes up and is looking at my Dart and tells me he is restoring an original 69 road runner. Cool then he tells me he is going to take out the 8 3/4 and install a Ford 9 inch because "they are the best rears and way stronger than an 8 3/4 or Dana". I said really?? i have no idea maybe thats true but i just dont see the point of putting another make rear in my car. Is the ford 9 inch really that much better? I am not a purist but i just dont get it. Maybe he should drop a big block chevy in place of the 440 because car craft said its a better engine...Can some one school me on the 9 inch...not that i would ever put one in my mopar but maybe i will understand better???

The ford 9 is about the same strength as a 8.75 rear. The ford offers a much much bigger following so it's a lot easier to find parts/upgrades and are usually a lot cheaper. Now a Dana 60 is a **** load stronger than but 8.75/9" but the 8.75/9 offer quick change gear ratio swaps.

this picture will explain a lot:
img127.gif

basically if you look at the contact area, a ford 9" has more pinion on ring contact area than a dana 60

i knew a guy with a big block chevy pickup with foggers and stuff 4900 lbs truck he was blowing out dana 60's and had to switch to a ford 9

depending on your power and weight of the vehicle an 8 3/4 will work fine up to a point, then a dana 60 beyond that. at a certain point you will want a ford 9, depending on how violent your launches are.

i.e. if you dont have race slicks and your car doesnt hook your 8 3/4 will be all you ever need. if you are hooking and your car is not a 4000 lbs fat hog or you are not putting out 1000+ hp the dana will last just fine.

if you have a 1000hp pickup truck get a ford 9

I have heard that the ford 9" rear end has a thrust bearing to control fore/aft loads that the others do not, that's why they are supposed to be better....

9" rear is cheaper to build - I'm spec'ing them on my builds for that reason (as much as it pains me)

Actually a Ferd 9 is quite a bit stronger than an 8 3/4 but that's not why I run one.

Mine is a 78-80 something Linc Versailles. You an throw them right under a Dart there is something like 1/4" wider difference on the spring pads. The Versailles has factory rear discs

It was something "I found" easily and since have acquired another complete one for parts

9" parts are just about the most plentiful on the "traditional" used market you can find "pumpkins" and rear axles on CL almost constantly

They can be MADE stronger by using aftermarket 3rd member parts and axles. The big advantage over a Dana is they are lighter, and if you either want to change gears or break a third member it's an easy job to swap it out

The 9 inch has a bearing on the back of the pinion so that it's supported front and rear. The fact that they built a billion of them helps.

For street use the 8-3/4, 9", 12-bolt, and Dana 60 are all excellent street rears.
Personally, I've always preferred to run Dana's in everything I've built, Street or strip, no matter what brand of car or truck it was.

It just simplified my life a little.

I think that guy needs to learn the meaning of the word "restoration". That's what I think.

You are not expecting an honest answer on a Mopar site about something being a better part than a Mopar part....are you? I have a brand new 9" housing, end to end in my car....if I had paid for the all of it I may have $400 into it...and that is with a Currie 9+ center unit.....seriously doubt you will get a new Dana....which aint really a Mopar part.....or a 83/4 for that amount of money...

Before anybody blows a gasket about my comment about the Dana.....keep in mind that Dana transfer cases were used in the first generation Broncos.....and also most of the front axles were Dana's if I remember right.....and EVERY TTB ever produced in a Ford truck is a Dana......kinda says something about Dana NOT being a Mopar part.....Pretty sure Dana Spicer is an aftermarket company....http://www.dana.com/wps/wcm/connect/dext2/Dana/Home

The ford 9 is about the same strength as a 8.75 rear. The ford offers a much much bigger following so it's a lot easier to find parts/upgrades and are usually a lot cheaper. Now a Dana 60 is a **** load stronger than but 8.75/9" but the 8.75/9 offer quick change gear ratio swaps.

Go to a race track and look under all the cars. Ford 9" is the majority choice and there is a reason for it. They are hella stronger & cheaper to build with better gear selection than an 8 3/4 ever had to offer and easier gear swaps than a Dana 60.

Go to a race track and look under all the cars. Ford 9" is the majority choice and there is a reason for it. They are hella stronger & cheaper to build with better gear selection than an 8 3/4 ever had to offer and easier gear swaps than a Dana 60.

I think you need to re-read my original statement/post. I said the 9" is cheaper to build and has a much much bigger aftermarket following. Now an 8.75 and 9" are about the same strengh out from the factory period. A Dana 60 is much stronger than both from the factory period. Now if you want to build a rear the 9" and will be cheaper hands down. Again all of this is stated in my original post (though I should have been more clear about my statement being from the factory). I've seen 8.75/9/D60 in all kinds of race and street cars, I've also seen everyone of them blow up. Like anything else, it depends on how you treat it.

You are not expecting an honest answer on a Mopar site about something being a better part than a Mopar part....are you? I have a brand new 9" housing, end to end in my car....if I had paid for the all of it I may have $400 into it...and that is with a Currie 9+ center unit.....seriously doubt you will get a new Dana....which aint really a Mopar part.....or a 83/4 for that amount of money...

Before anybody blows a gasket about my comment about the Dana.....keep in mind that Dana transfer cases were used in the first generation Broncos.....and also most of the front axles were Dana's if I remember right.....and EVERY TTB ever produced in a Ford truck is a Dana......kinda says something about Dana NOT being a Mopar part.....Pretty sure Dana Spicer is an aftermarket company....http://www.dana.com/wps/wcm/connect/dext2/Dana/Home

Chrysler, GM, Ford, International, Studebaker, AMC, and even Nissan and Isuzu all use Dana parts...they're an OE supplier. My Dakota is the first truck I have owned (Ford, Dodge, GMC, and Jeep) that DID NOT use Dana axles.

They are easier to build due to the huge aftermarket, have more gear ratio selections (from 2.40 to 6.50), and all sorts of aftermarket parts. That's it. Note that many "Ford" 9" axles under race cars have ZERO Ford parts! (Just like a drag "Powerglide" uses no factory parts.)

For an A-body, I would rather have an 8.25" Chrysler than a 9".

[You are not expecting an honest answer on a Mopar site about something being a better part than a Mopar part....are you?/QUOTE]. Point taken....lol I guess I was just looking for an amen on his "restoration" with ford parts. But Actually I have been schooled on the 9" all good reasons for their wide usage. Thanks to all for the input!

I'm surprised nobody mention the Ford axle bearings....

If you like friction, use the Ford. On the other hand, guess what rear Don Garlits used on his old dragsters? And they make some power. Dana isnt the answer.

I think you need to re-read my original statement/post. I said the 9" is cheaper to build and has a much much bigger aftermarket following. Now an 8.75 and 9" are about the same strengh out from the factory period. A Dana 60 is much stronger than both from the factory period. Now if you want to build a rear the 9" and will be cheaper hands down. Again all of this is stated in my original post (though I should have been more clear about my statement being from the factory). I've seen 8.75/9/D60 in all kinds of race and street cars, I've also seen everyone of them blow up. Like anything else, it depends on how you treat it.

Ok whatever you say..........

They are easier to build due to the huge aftermarket, have more gear ratio selections (from 2.40 to 6.50), and all sorts of aftermarket parts. That's it. Note that many "Ford" 9" axles under race cars have ZERO Ford parts! (Just like a drag "Powerglide" uses no factory parts.)

For an A-body, I would rather have an 8.25" Chrysler than a 9".

From the factory a 9" is stronger than an 8.75

Hopped up to the hilt a 9" is way stronger than an 8.75 hopped up to the hilt.

I guess in general I stepped on the Pristine Mopar crowd....... Gotta be all Mopar BS...... Lol

I run a 9" in the Scamp, but I'll keep the 8 3/4 in the Challenger. 8 3/4's and Dana's are pretty hard to find around here. Find a mid 70's Lincoln Versailles and you have a near bolt in 9" solution and it even comes with disc brakes.

Cost-effective. Same goes for the 8.8 that comes factory with disk brakes and 31 spline output shafts. $200 in the junkyard all day. Can't say the same for an 8 3/4.

If it's gotta say 'mopar' your gonna pay the price.

For most it's a nice tight corner to cut.

Since you guys like the 8 3/4 so much. I have a complete one Drum to Drum FOR SALE........... 742 Case, Spool, 391 Gears, axles, Shortened, back braced, fits 15X12 wheels with 4.25 Back Space Ready for your MINI TUB on a 67-76 A Body.... Measures 45 5/16" Flange to Flange.... Brake stand out is 2.5" so total width is 50 5/16"

You will be able to fit a 315/60/15 Drag Radial or a 29 x 10.5W Mickey Thompson Drag ET tucked to the top of the Wheel or further

Crap guess I should take out my rear end and get a Ford 9" :(

file_26_9.jpg

Screw it! Even if the Ford 9" is better I'll keep mine :finga:

-
Back