ford mustang axle question

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
so it's 2:44 am, I just got home from pulling Tara's car into a parking lot because the rear axle on the right side snapped. The wheel and tire came off and the hub of the rotor shattered. I did just do a break job all the way around. I will post pics in the morning but does any one have any idea on how this could have happened? Did I tighten the lug nuts to tight?

so I still need to drag the car home but here but this is a pic of the snapped axle and wheel.
I think the axle snapped and then the caliper drug on the inside of the wheel then the rotor hat broke allowing the wheel to come flying off and hit a bbq.

any ideas on how this could have happened?

P8170676.jpg

P8170675.jpg

P8170674.jpg

P8170673.jpg

WOW! That is some crazy stuff. Never seen any thing like that before. Did you change out the bearings too or just the brakes?

Yikes! Now you got me spooked! I have 18" wheels on my 02 Mustang GT & I have heard that they can be hard on bearings & such, but there's no sign of excess heat on those parts. It is a little suspicious that you had just performed some brake work, Try "Mustangforums.com" there's alot of smart Mustang guys there, who may have seen this before.

Seems to me that you had an axle failure. The fact that you just did the brakes is a coincidence.

Seems to me that you had an axle failure. The fact that you just did the brakes is a coincidence.

Thats kinda the conclusion that I am coming to. I am going to be talking to the insurance company here in a little bit. I just got my camera back so I will go snap some pics of the car.

I would say maybe a casting flaw. I see stock mustangs at the drag strip all the time with slicks and stock axles and rarely do they have a problem.
The guy I bought my 66 belvedere from said when the car was 6 months old he was driving down the road when a torsion bar broke. He installed another torsion bar and 43 years later it is still holding up.
Sometime these things happen.

here are some pics of the car side.
looking at it it looks like the axle failed. I don't think I did anything wrong when I put on the pads and rotors.

P8170091.jpg

P8170089.jpg

P8170090.jpg

thanks for the reply's guys, this is just what we needed.
Don't know if it matters but it is a 6cylinder.

The 6-cylinder cars use the 7.5 inch rear axle, (Not real strong) Even the 6-cyl. cars are pretty heavy, plus she's lugging around those giant wheels & tires, so this probably isn't unheard of. you might be able to score a Mustang 8.8 with the insurance $. It's a bolt in, bulletproof, and traction lock to boot.

The 6-cylinder cars use the 7.5 inch rear axle, (Not real strong) Even the 6-cyl. cars are pretty heavy, plus she's lugging around those giant wheels & tires, so this probably isn't unheard of. you might be able to score a Mustang 8.8 with the insurance $. It's a bolt in, bulletproof, and traction lock to boot.

Yep thats the plan if the insurance is willing to work with us or if they don't want at all. Anyone have a lsd 8.8 they want to sell?
I had a mechanic friend look at it and he said it was a preexisting crack that picked that time to go.

"Does it turn?" I don't know but I assume so.

-
Back