ford pistons in a 360?

-
No reason to worry about mixing brand pistons if they do the job. Our local machinist is putting some cast Ford 223 I6 pistons into a 273; the rods need bushed out and the tops of the pistons machined down. My Starion 2.6L turbo rally car engine uses VW air-cooled flat top forged pistons.

No reason to worry about mixing brand pistons if they do the job.

Bingo...the engine block doesn't know what brand engine the pistons are supposed to fit...might require machining, but if it fits what you want--use it.

Example: if you have a 360 crank that needs turned, but the block is toast, and you have a Std bore good 318 block, you can buy + .060" 283 pistons and Chevy 6" rods, bore the block to 3.93" and make a 349. That's a bit of an odd and unneeded combo for most apps, but it puts the opportunity in your corner.

...oddly enough, the LS1 and 5.7 hemi are similar to that in bore to stroke ratio.

I appreciate all the info. I agree about the mixing pistons. Heck I've seen guys use 460 pistons in stroker mopars. I was less concerned about that fact that it was a ford piston I was more concerned about wanting to know what piston I had so I could find out the specs. It's more than just bore. compression height is more of a concern. I did not have time or tools to properly measure piston depth. You never know why someone started building a motor several years ago and stopped.

check out page one. I did confirm with Fed Mogul that these are forged 360 pistons. The part number is obsolete.

As stated earlier, my bigger concern would be that crank.

I understand I will get it checked out by my machine shop. I will most likely replace it. If I gonna rebalance I may as well go with kb107s to bump up compression with the 974 heads. We will see when I decide to start on it. I picked up since it was a good deal and I figured the machined block, (now confirmed) forged pistons and rebuilt heads were worth the $500 I paid.

-
Back