Ford Ranger advice

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase a couple of Ford Rangers for my swimming pool company. One is a 2002 Edge, 5-speed, 3.0 V6 extend cab 121,000 miles. The other is a 99, automatic, 4 cylinder reg cab, 134,000 miles.

My only Ford trucks were a 74 and a 72, both 4-speeds with 390's so I know nothing about these little things!

Are these good little trucks to rack up some economical miles on? Anything I should look out for or any known problems?

I would rather have Dakota's of course and will eventually go that way in the future, but I can get a great deal on these and I need them right now.

Is anyone out there a happy Ford Ranger owner?

I used to run Rangers in my previous business, ran one for a few years in my current business and was just looking at one yesterday to add to the fleet. I never had any major problems with them. At one point I had about 10 of them on the road. My son ran one through high school and beyond,, I blew the 2.9 in that by overrevving it climbing hills in about 3 feet of snow. The last one I owned I took on trade for my boat, it had well over 100,000 on it. I drove it for about 3 years and the water pump went out. I put a water pump on it and gave it to my daughter who drove it almost two years until it was reended by a semi. I'll buy another when I find the right one.

I'd go for the Edge with the V6...I have really good luck with my 97 F150 and 99 Crown vic...and have heard good things about the Rangers.

The four bangers are notorious for cracking heads. I know I have replaced two.

Ranger is by far the best truck ford sells don't make enough power to tear up parts. 1st couple years of the 3 liter they had a problem with injesting water into the engine but they fixed that.

Brian

i had a 99 ranger with the 3.0 auto. i liked the truck, but it had no power and was terriable on gas. good truck though

I sold a 96 Ranger last year.
it was a 4 cyllinder 5 speed manual.

The only two things I ever had to replace was a headlight bulb and a heater switchover valve that lives under the hood and leaks because it's got a cheap, plastic seam.

Still ran like a champ when i sold it, had 180-k miles on it with zero issues, jus too small for me as my business grew.

I had problems with the AC blend door cracking on mine. No AC in 110 degree heat is no bueno. I had a 98 4.0 4x4 auto. I loved it. I'd still have it if they ever made kids that didnt grow. They got too big for the little back seats.

They also had short piston skirt designs on this era ranger, so it would sound like knocking or dieseling, but it was never a problem for me. It never got any worse. I ran Mobil 1 synth in it.

Great truck overall. Theres plenty in junkyards, plus they are built on the explorer chassis (or the other way around).

I agree with Avarageerod - their V6 doesn't have the best gas mileage - My dad had a late 199x or early 200x ranger for a while - it had the V6. He didn't have any problems with it. It was totalled in an accident and my dad got a 2002? Dakota with the 4.7L V8 and found out the Dakota V8 gets the same mileage he was getting out of the Ranger V6. But no troubles I can remember...

Actually I noticed the 99 is starting to have a little trouble with the AC blend door. :angry7:

Other than that, they both seem, and drive great. It appears that you guys have used and enjoyed them. :cheers:

I think I will get them. Thank you all for your input so far, it is much appreciated.
Thanks for the heads up on the head cracking DD. I will keep my eye on it.

a friend of the shop a parts driver picked up a ranger 4 liter 4+4 from the place he works the truck has over 400 thousand on it just brakes the air still works. reson they sold oil presser was droping off. he changed the oil and presser went back up. but he did not change filter. we think the sending unit is bad.

I have a Ranger, and it is OK. But Ford has a lot of balls calling it a "truck". Four cyl, and does not have enough guts to pull a full bed load. My 4 cyl Toyota PU will get better fuel mileage towing my race car, then the Ranger gets empty.

-
Back