Ford Ranger?

-

Revhendo

Master ACME Tech
Reaction score
I need advice from my extended family.

Deb and I are getting a '95 Ford Ranger from her dad for basically the back fees owed on it. It's way under 40K on the mileage, but I don't think it's been started in 3 or 4 years. So, yeah, I'm gonna be doing all the classic tricks on starting an in stasis engine, no worries there. I'm thinking if I get this thing back up and going, Deb can use it as her DD, maybe we can use it for the fishing trips up in Bishop.

I seem to remember some of you all were fond of these things. So I'm just wondering if there is anything I should be keeping an eye out for on this vehicle. It's the 4cyl/AOD extended cab model. I'm not expecting blinding performance, but the MPG has got to be better than the Wagoneer she's wheeling around in now.

So, outside of the shame of putting an F-bomb in my driveway, what say you fine knowledgeable folk?

I have had a 92 Ranger 3.0 V6 for almost 20 years, and I absolutely love it! I'm not that knowledgeable about the 4cyl, however. I know the newer Rangers with the V6 had issues with the cam synchro going out, but I don't know about the 4 bangers having this issue. You can try Joey's trucks forum, fortrucksonly.com, or you can try www.therangerstation.com. I've been on therangerstation for about ten years now, and while it has fallen off somewhat in the last few years, there are still a lot of good people and a lot of knowledge there. Good luck to you! Oh, and post pics of your new truck when you get a chance! I'd love to see it.

Change the fuel filters. That's multiport, right? If it doesn't seem to run right, don't screw around. Find someone who cleans injectors, yank 'em out and get 'em cleaned.

Obd1,good stuff. Do the trans service, keep a rightful watch.2.3 awesome,injected.

If it is an obd1 deal I swapped one of them into an 83 Ranger. It never died....but it sure did rattle enough.....Even used to ping going down hill. New plugs would cure it for a while. Never did clean the injectors or nothing of that nature, just beat the tar out of it. Gave it to a friend, he drove it for a while before giving it to another friend. Between the 3 of us we put over 100k on it with it sounding like a dozen gold balls in a trash can....

I just got done doing the heads on my 04.....again after 3 years. But I still like it a lot. Mine has the 3 point slow V6. I think I actually did something this time. It runs better than it has ever since I got it. 150 K plus. 5R55E transmission. It's a nice little truck. Power everything and cold *** A/C.

I love the little 2.3L. I would pull the tank and clean it out before I even tried to start it. Also all new filters as Del said. Doing all this increases your chances of not having to deal with bad gas in the fuel system. I have saved a lot of electric fuel pumps I started doing this after having to replace a bunch before I learned to do it.

Don't go crazy if you see 8 spark plugs on that little 4 cylinder.

MPG wise, I get around 22/23 around town and usually less on the highway with the 2.3. I have had a worst of 17 mpg which I think is TERRIBLE for a 4 cylinder. Full sized V8 trucks can get better than that! Only problem that I complain about other than gas mileage is that it seems to start to vapor lock when it gets really hot outside. Typically somewhere north of 105 degrees. It rarely ever does it though. I drive it everywhere and it keeps on ticking with 160K on it.

i would change the timing belt.its easy to do ,and then you really will be trouble free....

There is a reason a lot of folks used to turn Rangers into pre-runners....they can take a pounding.

Mine even has torsion bars on the front.

If you keep up on the basic maintinence, oil changes and the trans filter/fluid intervals, youll have a good little truck that will easily live to 200k miles. Those old 2.3s are TOUGH! As for mileage you should see at least low 20s in town and mid 20s on the highway as long as you dont try to drive it like a racecar.

Ya see? This is why I love this place. Thanks for the info.
I had already planned the whole fluids and filters change. Gotta get some new tires, the old ones kind of died in place. I've yet to get under the hood and check out the hoses and belts, but I'm ready for that if need be.

Bad440, thanks for the heads up on the timing belt. I had totally forgot them 2.3s had em.
Great advice guys.
I'm gonna keep it stock, with maybe a bump up to Explorer wheels (it needs tires anyway, right? And I can't help being me).

A special thanks to 65LoveAffair for the hours I just lost on the Ranger Station. I'm almost all of the way through the tech sections.... :thumbrig:

A special thanks to 65LoveAffair for the hours I just lost on the Ranger Station. I'm almost all of the way through the tech sections.... :thumbrig:

When you sign up for the forum, if you haven't already, make sure you stop by the "Introduce Yourself" thread. You might find somebody you know saying hello back!

When you sign up for the forum, if you haven't already, make sure you stop by the "Introduce Yourself" thread. You might find somebody you know saying hello back!

Bwahahahaha! Yeah, gonna wait til it's in my driveway before I sign up for more chair time. If ya know what I mean.....

Bwahahahaha! Yeah, gonna wait til it's in my driveway before I sign up for more chair time. If ya know what I mean.....

Why let that stop you? I've been a member here for almost three years, and I STILL don't have an A body yet. :wack:

Why let that stop you? I've been a member here for almost three years, and I STILL don't have an A body yet. :wack:

Soooo, after lurking at the Ranger Station, I signed up and said howdy.
And this is why my Valiant still bumps around on a 5.5 cylinder slant 6....

View attachment IMAG0535.jpg

The good news, it's a 5spd not an auto. The bad news, the clutch pedal drops to the floor and stays there. Oh, and it's 135 thousand miles....

View attachment IMAG0539.jpg

View attachment IMAG0538.jpg

Oh part 2, I couldn't help myself, the 14" wheels were bugging me and for the price of a new set of replacement stock tires I got these and when I get the Goodyears to go with them, it will be roughly the same cost.

View attachment IMAG0570.jpg

The good news, it's a 5spd not an auto. The bad news, the clutch pedal drops to the floor and stays there. Oh, and it's 135 thousand miles....

It is likely the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder but try adding fluid and bleeding it first.

The hard one to replace is the slave cylinder since you have to pull the transmission.

They're good little trucks. We had one as a company parts runner for years. One of the guys at the shop eventually bought it from us and uses as his daily driver. When we sold it to him (about 4 years ago) it had a little over 190,000 miles on it. It's still going strong, today.

They have built themselves a solid reputation in the small truck market. I for one am proud they have. Tired of seeing jap trucks takin over. Since I got mine fixed, it's been flawless. I sure am glad, too. Bout time something went our way.

-
Back