forged crank vs nodular crank block

-

67belevdere/225

Reaction score
just wondering if any body ha experience with cast vs the later newer blocks 76 and up
if I was going to have a spare and start building a engine . wish one you would chose
like parts wise , yes the forged crank is stronger , but the later nodular one is lighter
and easier to find bearings and parts. I rebuilt my engine it s great has plenty of power
just should I keep looking for a spare , I have the 67 block with a 73 crank with the bigger
end for later torque

It is not "easier to find" bearings or any other parts for the '76.5-up cast-crank Slant-6 than it is for the '76.5-down forged-crank engine.

In general, it looks like bearings are very slightly cheaper for the cast crank, but not enough to make much difference. I wouldn't worry about the year (as long as 1968 or newer), just the overall basic condition, of the spare engine.

Why '68 or newer?
The pilot hole in the end of the crank got larger in 1968. You can use the late trans/converter as is, or the early trans/converter by using a inexpensive bushing. If using the early crank, you must use the early trans/converter, or an expensive custom converter to use the late trans.

I found that out the hard way and was lucky enough to find a later crank virgin and spun it down .010
right now I am fitting the wilco trans adapter and running a gm 700r4 with corvette HS lock up torque
2300 rmp
The pilot hole in the end of the crank got larger in 1968. You can use the late trans/converter as is, or the early trans/converter by using a inexpensive bushing. If using the early crank, you must use the early trans/converter, or an expensive custom converter to use the late trans.

-
Back