Forum For Sale Ads etiquette

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
I have a question what to expect when it comes to sales ads in these forums. Normally I'm used to it like this: if there is something that several people want, and a "line" forms for the item being sold, the seller goes down the line giving each person who responded in order a chance. I replied after someone else, saying I would purchase if still available as I noticed I wasn't first. I got a reply and was told the item was still for sale. I got back a couple hours later saying I would buy, but then I noticed the item was marked SOLD and the thread closed. Huh? I'm a bit confused as I'm not used to it working that way and I'm a bit upset I got passed over without given a reasonable amount of time to reply.

What do others expect/experience?

Well its all bout what the seller wants to do (Its thiers to sell ) But I go by 1st pm i get then go down the line most ive seen do it this way . Some of my sells Ive already got a buyer in mind and post it up for that One member but i say that in the ad that this aint for sell to every one intell said member passes on it . So what are you looking for man maybe some one reading this will have it and sell it to you ?

You just never know, sometimes sellers have the parts listed elsewhere too. Or they sell a lot of parts and don't bother keeping track. Or they don't care about etiquette!

I wondered about this myself ...I have had sellers tell me there are multiple people in line ahead of me and then 5 minutes later they write back and are ready to complete the deal with me. .....???? don't know what that is all about but happens a lot.

Well its all bout what the seller wants to do (Its thiers to sell ) But I go by 1st pm i get then go down the line most ive seen do it this way . Some of my sells Ive already got a buyer in mind and post it up for that One member but i say that in the ad that this aint for sell to every one intell said member passes on it . So what are you looking for man maybe some one reading this will have it and sell it to you ?
x2 shat happens. All we can do is flush it and move on

I had it happen to me and posted about it and I was the one that got jumped on. Go figure.

AMEN--------KIM--It's all about ME,that's the world we live in today,I'd like to spin the clock back.----Steve

It should really go by who responds in the post first,unfortunately not everybody uses the post they just PM,instead. Or if you post something really good at a nice price, you might get five PM's at once, in that case I just go with the first in.

Sucks when you are on the losing end.

That's one of my dislikes around here. If you are interested post in the thread. There are many that go the PM route so there's no way anyone knows really where they stand.

It should really go by who responds in the post first,unfortunately not everybody uses the post they just PM,instead.

I prefer to PM. I found when I was buying many parts that some people "watch" what you are buying and sometimes try to buy it from you afterwards. If I didn't want it, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place...

Or they would say, "you already bought one of those..."... Yeah, but I own more than one car and may need it for one of my others... Or maybe I need a spare in case the other breaks...

What I buy and who I buy it from is my own business. It is between me and the seller, nobody else needs to get involved.... I'm a big boy, I can handle it myself.

I even had a case where I bought a part from another member and paypalled him the $$$. He PM'ed back at 11 PM that the parts are mine and will be shipped in the morning. Then just before noon he PM's me back saying that he refunded my money because "his son sold them that morning that he didn't know..." Meanwhile Paypal sits on my refund money for 3-5 weeks before giving it back to me. Then I hear from another member that his son doesn't even live with him.

And now he wonders why I won't deal with him again.... 1st impressions....

I found when I was buying many parts that some people "watch" what you are buying

What I buy and who I buy it from is my own business. It is between me and the seller, nobody else needs to get involved.... I'm a big boy, I can handle it myself.

you too!! I thought I was the only one being flowed around .....one busy body here is obviously watching me because every time I buy something he is askin why I bought it and talking about it.

I am a loud mouth on here anyway so I will probably tell the world myself, everybody already knows what im up to .....but for someone to follow someone like that, is like ....wow, don't you have anything better to do. :angry7: I don't care anyway ...im going to buy what I want anyway

And then you have the-wannabe buyers!!You have buyers wanting your parts but you are holding for the first in line to pay but he just can't get it together,now you have everyone pissed.Cant please everyone

If I see something I want at a good price, and it's a new ad, I send a PM. If I have time, I will put a "PM sent" reply in the post, in case the seller looks at the thread instead of checking PM's. I just have to trust that the seller will give whoever replied first, the first chance. I'm not going to get my panties in a wad over some imaginary line that people create in the thread. If I get it, fine. If not....it's like they say in Russia, Tuffski shitski!

And then you have the-wannabe buyers!!You have buyers wanting your parts but you are holding for the first in line to pay but he just can't get it together,

I have no problem waiting my turn in line. I've done it many times and have gotten the parts. Sometimes it pays to wait. I've been up to 3rd or 4th in line and gotten some parts. I've been surprised sometimes how many times I have waited in line and got the parts. Then sometimes it doesn't get to me. then I wait for another one to be posted and start the game all over again....

you too!! I thought I was the only one being flowed around .....one busy body here is obviously watching me because every time I buy something he is askin why I bought it and talking about it.

You too? In some cases it can get creepy...

You ask yourself, "why is this person that I don't know so interested in what I'm buying?" :-?

It mostly the way it has always been , if your lucky that day its yours .Try living in Canada and being first in line , you still do not get first choice ,I believe this was a popular forum a few months back .Again luck is the game .

It mostly the way it has always been , if your lucky that day its yours .Try living in Canada and being first in line , you still do not get first choice ,I believe this was a popular forum a few months back .Again luck is the game .

it does seem sometimes like its just meant and other times you jump through hoops and still cant get it. im still having a tough time with a 70-72 duster grille LOL

everytime one comes up ....its always taken right away :protest:

it does seem sometimes like its just meant and other times you jump through hoops and still cant get it. im still having a tough time with a 70-72 duster grille LOL

everytime one comes up ....its always taken right away :protest:

Are you sure there isn't a conspiracy and they say, "Here comes Rani, hide the grille..." LOL! Just kiddin'

If someone posts a for sale ad, why should someone respond with "pm sent" in the thread? Just to let everyone else know they are "in line?" That's ridiculous IMO. When I buy something from someone, I PM them; nothing else. If I don't get it, oh well. The world isn't fair sometimes.

I sell some of my rebuilt suspension and brake parts on the forum, from time to time, and i tell people who inquire, that the first one to pay for the item, and put money into my Pay Pal account is the one who will get the parts.
Often times the first to respond is not serious about buying the part(s) anyway, and drags his feet, in getting back to you.
Then along comes inquiry 2 or 3, and number 3 pays immediately, so he's the man that gets the parts.
The one that steps up to the plate, and pays, buys the part, not who's first in line in the pecking order with replies.
Just my two cents on the subject.

It is hit or miss, often resulting in some great deals, and occasionally some losses. If you want perfect rules, you have to pay for that type of structure and policing on a major selling site like E-bay.

-
Back