FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
832D3208-B5D1-4B62-AA75-964D0064C294.jpeg
06F6C756-9857-4DE3-95FD-AD51D97F9006.jpeg
7ECC825A-5125-44E6-8600-E0484290F39B.jpeg
0C56DC32-D0F9-4197-9314-1FDD96C55A0D.jpeg
881B8BD6-B7BD-4305-97DE-2307D51A46CD.jpeg
I walked away from this car a week ago not knowing if I wanted to sell it or not. I am way over my head on this one at my age and by myself. I could not for the life of me get my headers on that were built for this car before I got sick and it was to long ago for the builder to remember so tonight I cut them apart and ground off the welds holding the collectors on and the passenger side is now on. (The easy side). Not sure when I will jump on the driver side but hopefully soon. With the Stock front frame rail,stock suspension mounts, and Stock firewall it get very tight with a big block

I’ve been contemplating the idea of fabbing my own headers with individual flange primaries and a collector that sinches on with bolts. This is how they are done on continuation Shelby Cobras and it’s the only way I can figure that will make header installation not a complete pain.

Last edited:
I’ve been contemplating the idea of fabbing my own headers with individual flange primaries and a collector that sinches on with bolts. This is how they are done on continuation Shelby Cobras and it’s the only way I can figure that will make header installation not a complete pain.

It also looks like I made spark plug access a lot easier too and with nitrous that’s a biggie.

That is one serious looking combination, what do you think it will run?

That is one serious looking combination, what do you think it will run?

I honestly have no idea as I never did a nitrous type of build. You sacrifice a lot of horsepower to make it nitrous friendly. I guess the closer I get to a 5.0 I get the happier I will be getting my feet wet

Don't sell it, you will be sorely disappointed later on. If you get frustrated, take a break from it & just relax. After my race car partner retired, I was on my own to finish my bracket car. I talked about selling it or trading for a street car, but talked myself out of it. I finally got it going, made a few passes in it & now I gathering up parts to duplicate a 416 stroker that had a cracked main web in the block. It's slow going doing it by myself, but when I see forward progress I get excited all over again.

Don't sell it, you will be sorely disappointed later on. If you get frustrated, take a break from it & just relax. After my race car partner retired, I was on my own to finish my bracket car. I talked about selling it or trading for a street car, but talked myself out of it. I finally got it going, made a few passes in it & now I gathering up parts to duplicate a 416 stroker that had a cracked main web in the block. It's slow going doing it by myself, but when I see forward progress I get excited all over again.

Oh trust me I. Hear ya but with two other cars I’m getting buried over here. I’m spoiled by my low 9 second small block and how easy I made it to work on. These heads up cars have very strict rules on what can and can’t be done. When I bought this car my son was still into working on them to but now all he cares about is driving them. I miss how we worked together

Tell the son what I told my grandson, "if you want to drive, you have to help work on & maintain the cars". My grandson let his grades fall & started acting up in school & that put a stop to his extracurricular activities for a while. He finally figured it out & got back in line. Time will tell how long he stays on track.

B3163BC1-7335-46A8-89AD-AEBA4E80B12E.jpeg
Tell the son what I told my grandson, "if you want to drive, you have to help work on & maintain the cars". My grandson let his grades fall & started acting up in school & that put a stop to his extracurricular activities for a while. He finally figured it out & got back in line. Time will tell how long he stays on track.

He’s thirty now and has his own car. I gave it to him years ago as he made his first passes in the car while my ex wife was pregnant with him. He heard a noise in the 360 in October at Norwalk so hopefully he gets back in the mood so he can pull the engine so we can check it out

Not trying to be a wise *** but could you have pulled the motor, laid in the headers and slid the motor back in between them ???

Not trying to be a wise *** but could you have pulled the motor, laid in the headers and slid the motor back in between them ???

Nope I took the engine plate off and raised and lowered the engine. I even pushed it over side to side some. This was the best move for me not having a car hoist and being by myself. At 63 climbing out from under the car and lying on your back was a pain in the butt. Plus like I said now plug removal is easier. It’s so tight I can’t even run header gaskets. Thank God I’m a silicon user. Lol

0E577FC4-B0FA-428F-A721-92C273FE9B39.jpeg
B51BC9AD-6730-42DA-871C-BBE5E4077226.jpeg
FEC6CC46-13DA-4BAD-9D2B-FA87E71CB9CD.jpeg
08F0515B-01D0-4249-B5E0-24572426A370.jpeg
6 hours later after cutting the driver side apart, removing the passenger side header again, removing the engine plate, and raising the engine, and shifting it over, the drivers side header is now on. Put the engine plate on again temporarily and bolted the passenger side header on again. Time to shift over to my small block build for my black Duster

Shew, I like multiple projects too much myself, lolol! Everything I own turns out to be one! That’s some good looking workmanship, definitely not your first rodeo...

Shew, I like multiple projects too much myself, lolol! Everything I own turns out to be one! That’s some good looking workmanship, definitely not your first rodeo...

I don’t have the get up and go like I used to. Finally got my butt to Planet Fittness to try to get back in some kind of shape other than short, fat, and round.

-
Back