Found '73 Satellite in junk yard w/ disc brakes... worth pulling?

-

Brad54

Reaction score
I just found a '73 Satellite in the local junkyard. It's got front discs on it--are they worth pulling? It'd be a pain in the ***, and money is tight right now... if they're worth pulling and flipping for some $$, that'd be great.
Or are they on the "don't bother" list?

-Brad

i would pull them whether i can "flip" them or not. some stuff is getting hard to find in a complete state...

Only thing worth pulling is the knuckles. Rotors and calipers are available at any auto parts store. The calipers don't really work on anything other than a B body anyway. The caliper adapters should come with the knuckles. They'll only be the smaller 11 inch units but that is still better than drum brakes. Best cars for brakes are the 1976 or newer B body and R body cars as they'll have the big 11.75 brakes. Those are worth grabbing any day of the week. The 11.75 setup is getting harder to find and nobody is reproducing the tall caliper adapters. The 11.75 brakes are the best factory setup that fits the A,B and E body cars.

you're right Andy but I'd pull the whole shebang in one piece, some folks don't like part hunting and will pay a little extra for the complete setup even though we know they'd be better served your way...

I'm 43 & place more value in time, as well as money these days. If I was to consider this move (which I actually am right now), I would have to consider the following:
* Cost of Parts +
* My Time which =
(hrs to source the parts) X (my hourly rate)
+
(hrs to pull X my hrly Rate)
+
(hrs to clean/prep) X (my hrly rate)
+
(hrs to source other new parts that will be req'd)
X (my Hrly rate)
+
(hrs to assemble new w/ old) X (my Hrly rate)

* Then I have to Install,,,,etc, etc....

If all these costs are > $1000, then it makes no sense to get the old stuff from a Junkyard, or off a Donor Car. Why? Because one can buy a Complete Kit (w/ A-Arms that have bushings & B-Joints pre-installed, among other things for this price.

In the end, One has to weigh all [ Costs + Hassle + Time ]. To me, that is way > than $1000.
Plus, I'd rather spend my time installing nice, clean, new stuff. Then, I'd also rather spend my time actually Drivin' the Dang Car.

-
Back