Found a shop... Is this cool?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
While I have been having my 360 issues, I found a shop willing to work with me. They said for $200.00 they will go though the engine with me, and look at my heads. I guess I'll be working with the dudes as they show me everything and mic it all to see whats good, or not good.
After the parts are out then they will go from there as far as honing out the cylinders. Which will then cost extra. I have found out already that my engine was bored .40 over. I didn't even know that! At least there's still room to play. I just hope the bearing and things are reusable. They found a lot of detonation, pits in the pistons.
They said knowing that I'm on a budget they would just pressure wash everything. They mentioned that's not really what should be done, but for the money I have... that's what they can offer which is better then nothing.

I have kind of gotten off track...

So is $200.00 an all right price to pay to look over everything, even though I'll be there to work with them?? Or is this yet another hose job?

Thanks!

I paid 100 to have the blocked cleaned and magged and checked. I called around and that seemed like the going rate. 200 may be steep if they are only going to pressure wash it.
However I am in California so it may be different. im sure someone else will chime in.

Seems reasonable to me as long as this isn't some bad reputation shop, it's cool that they're actually willing to work with you rather than give you some BS about their insurance policy, hope the motor turns out good for you, we still gotta get together some time, I haven't forgotten ya.

Herre,$100 gets the block hot tanked,new freeze plugs and cam bearings.
$150 grind any crank,any size
$100 bore and hone,plates extra.

This guy is independant and works out of his machine shop that is set up on his Dads land.LOOOW overhead.

"They said for $200.00 they will go though the engine with me, and look at my heads."

Define "go through the engine." Are they going to tear it down and look the parts over? I just built a 273 for the street here in the Bay Area, California. The machinist already knew I was bringing him heads to rework, took a little extra time to mike the crank for no charge, took some time to answer a few questions for me. I brought him the block, told him it looked as though noone has ever been in it, what does he think? He measured cylinder taper beyond normal specs in front of me and so he got the sale to machine the block, too. He didn't go over every little piece, I know enough about that stuff to make my own decisions. But in the end, between block and heads, he made about a $1000 sale out of me.
If in the beginning he said he's gonna charge me $200 to go through this stuff, I would have said no thanks, and found another shop. I considered it the cost of doing business, and it got him my business.

I think going through the motor and heads with you,their gonna find some kinda flaws.Which means replacing at cost for parts and labor.Be careful,let them know upfront your budget!

I know this doesn't necessarily help, but what you need to do is educate yourself on how to check out the engine as you take it apart, either that or make friends with someone who knows how. Using plastic gauge, feeler gauges, and some simple snap gauges can tell you alot about the condition of your motor by yourself. If you can get access to a dial bore gauge you can get very accurate on the cylinder bore measurements.

The point I am making is that unless you find a shop that is honest - they may sell you stuff you don't need.

Get some books that deal with this topic, (there are some good ones written about rebuilding mopar engines), and read up on it.

$200 seems pretty high to me. Most shops here will take your block measure it up and tell you whats needed before doing anything further, maybe $50-100 if you decide to do no further work. Your heads will need guides and a valve job in all likely hood unless they have been rebuilt at some point.

Think about it.

$200 can buy you some basic tools for measuring like mentioned earlier, including a book. If your up to it it might be worth the investment. Not saying these guys are too expensive but if you want to work on your own stuff look into it at least.

-
Back