Found fix for leaking aftermarket sending units

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Ok, so there were lots of posts about leaking aftermarket sending units in new tanks and such. I got an OEM used 67 tank from another fabo member who was converting to EFI. I need the sender for the 69 cuda i am rat packing parts for. Everything appeared to be OEM stock and never removed before. So i tapped the lock ring out, and pulled out the sending unit. Once i cleaned up all the grime i noticed some extra points stamped into the lock ring to make it seat tighter. Now this doesnt look like something somebody did on a workbench with a block of wood and a screwdriver tip and a hammer, the spacing and height on them are identical. However this could be done to the aftermarket lock rings which dont have these points in some cases, or are not as pronounced in other cases to make them work.

Hope this helps
Matt

Screenshot_20180507-131051.jpg

Screenshot_20180507-131132.jpg

Last edited:
That's just a detent to help prevent it from backing off. Doubt it helps it seal any better.

That was the part that was under the tabs. The taller bent corners are the stops for the ring. This ring was on a 67 tank. Possibly there was a change made to the stampings at some point in time.

All i know is the aftermarket ones dont lift as high as these points do, and probably dont exert enough pressure against the gasket. Phoo phoo it if you want, i plan on using it.

Last edited:
Yeah, dont know. I installed a new repro tank on my 73 and no problem getting it to seal.

What brand did you buy? No matter, the problem wasnt so much with the tank, it seemed to be the aftermarket lock rings thrmselves.

When I replaced my sending unit with a NOS mopar the gasket that came with it leaked. I looked at the sealing ring and the flange on the tank. I think the flange on the tank is a bit misshapen from the years. My solution was to use the old gasket AND the new gasket. Not a single drop.

-
Back