Found it!

-

Alvin

Reaction score
I have been working on a project as a gift to my Dad for a while looking up his old planes and finding out where they are or what happened to them.
I finally found what happened to his favorite plane. Not a happy ending but amazing to find it, let alone a picture of it in an area "we weren't in"
North American T-28A when he owned it in the early/mid 1960"s
thumbnail_IMG_1813.jpg

Was sold back to the government around 1967 and rebuilt into a T-28 D5 and sent to Laos with the Ravens...
Dads T28 in Laos.jpg

Lost in combat 1 Oct 1970 (weather), pilot lost.
It was a long but rewarding project tracking it with no visable registration number, to finding the serial number, finding out that the serial number changed when it was rebuilt by North American and finding it was sent to Laos. The cherry on top was finding a picture of the actual plane in Laos. Dad was in shock when I showed him ( I made a book of all his planes, only couldn't find one plane).

Great search and cool story. Nice thought for your Dad. Ancestry for planes is neat.

AMAZING. I didn't know the gobt ever did such things........private back into service, that is. I would have thought there were so many of these or similar planes, would have been no problem rounding up "enough." One cool thing about the T28s, is the badass sound of a radial. NAS Miramar, 70-74, they would show up there fairly regular. I don't think any were actually based there. I fixed GCA RADAR and TACAN

-
Back