Found my Build sheet! I thought

-

highspeeddirt

Reaction score
Well, I got super excited today when I thought I found my build sheet in the seat back. All but the last 3 numbers of the vin were exact.
How often did they put the wrong build sheets in other cars I wonder? Sure the seats may have been from a different car through the years, but what would the chance be the vin numbers being so close together if that was the case?
Anyway, here it is in case someone in here has this car!

20210822_134142.jpg

20210822_131007.jpg

This is extremely common.

Broadcast sheets often ended up in other cars due to how the sub assembly lines were run.

Just before this seat was completed, the broadcast sheet was placed inside, at that point the order was almost done..... then the seat backs were installed and the completed seat sent down to the main line.

At that point a car comes along needing a seat in that color and type, so the nearest matching seat to the cars build goes in.

Have you searched the other normal places to check for additional broadcast sheets yet?

Also.... If you type out the VIN and the cars owner does an internet search, that search will lead to you and this post. ;-)

This is extremely common.

Broadcast sheets often ended up in other cars due to how the sub assembly lines were run.

Just before this seat was completed, the broadcast sheet was placed inside, at that point the order was almost done..... then the seat backs were installed and the completed seat sent down to the main line.

At that point a car comes along needing a seat in that color and type, so the nearest matching seat to the cars build goes in.

Have you searched the other normal places to check for additional broadcast sheets yet?

Also.... If you type out the VIN and the cars owner does an internet search, that search will lead to you and this post. ;-)

I could see that happening. Thanks! Now hopefully I can. Find mine somewhere else. So far I've looked everywhere except behind the glove box.
Here is the vin for the build sheet I found
BH23D72230881

Did you look above the headliner? They can also be found under the carpeting and on top of the heater box. also how different are the last 3 numbers? Could they be transposed or maybe fat fingered? Does the vin on the dash match the numbers stamped on the radiator support and under the trunk lid gasket?

Did you look above the headliner? They can also be found under the carpeting and on top of the heater box. also how different are the last 3 numbers? Could they be transposed or maybe fat fingered? Does the vin on the dash match the numbers stamped on the radiator support and under the trunk lid gasket?
The VIN isn't on the car anywhere other than the pillar tag on a '67 model.

I found a build sheet in my '65 Barracuda and got all excited. Problem was, the factory seats were gold and the current seats are black. Someone swapped the interior and the build sheet turned out to be from a different vehicle (obviously).

Just checked behind glove box. Carpet has been changed and it wasn't there. Still have to do the headliner, so maybe I'll luck out there.
No biggie if I don't find it. Just would be cool.
Like cudamark said, on 1967, the pillar/door jam is the only place the vin is.

I found my build sheet too. Going to take a while to decode it though. :( It's looking like it was a 440 4spd car by the build sheet. Lol

20190504_123504.jpg

Last edited:
I've never seen one in the headliner, but, it's possible I guess. I've seen them in just about every other area of the interior....pinched between the steering column and the dash, taped to the back of the glove box insert, under the carpet, in the springs of the front seat bottom, back seat back or bottom, inside the door and quarter trim panels, and under the console. About the only ones you find that you can still read are the rear seat back and the back of the glove box, unless you're real lucky. I had one car with 6 different broadcast sheets in it! Just one belonged to that car. I guess if the supervisor at the factory got on the tech's case about keeping his area clean, the broadcast sheets got swept up and put in anything handy. I had one low mileage car, that had obviously never been apart, with a vintage Coke can inside the quarter panel where the window regulator is. Everything was factory sealed and I was the first to have that trim panel off according to the original owner. I've found all sorts of brand new fasteners that had been accidentally dropped and ignored by the installers too. Those are always cool to find when doing a restoration.

The VIN isn't on the car anywhere other than the pillar tag on a '67 model.

my bad, I believe the sequence number would be stamped on the radiator support and under the trunk lid gasket on 68 and earlier models and to match to the vin you would have to have the build sheet.

I found my sons '71 Charger buildsheet in the backseat along with a 2nd sheet identical to his (color, engine, etc) with the addition of a white vinyl top. This was back in '98 (his first car that he still has). Both being 318 cars I didn't save the 2nd sheet and have always regretted it. I did save his though just for grins & giggles as it resembles the buildsheet in color only now. :D

-
Back