Frame for Fuel Cell

-

Brad4406

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone built a frame for supporting their fuel cell? I tend to go overboard on engineering stuff so I don't know if one is even needed, but it sounded like a good idea. I'm planning to run a 20 gal aluminum fuel cell, I plan to cut out the spare tire holder in the trunk and create my own pan for it, but I was thinking with that much weight it should probably be supported by more than just a pan. If any of you did build a frame for yours, could you please attach some pictures in your post? Thank you in advance.

Brad

If your floor is going to be flat, just weld in some 3/4" or 1" square tubing from frame to frame. Weld you new floor on top.

I did this...

Cell2.jpg

Cell1.jpg

Cell5.jpg

Cell3.jpg

Cell3-1.jpg

Cell2-1.jpg

Cell1-1.jpg

Crackedback, I like that, you should consider putting in a fake floor. It looks nice there, but would really clean everything up.
I am looking to also cut out my spare tire and make a floor that with a shallow support for a fuel cell.

Mine is half in the trunk/ half out.

Has an angle iron cradle welded to the inner frame rails.

This was easier to mini tub the car with a big, square hole cut in the trunk, then made the cradle to bolt the cell to.

These pics are old and the trunk is finished much better now.

fuel-2.jpg

barracudatrunk-3.jpg

I know its been a while, but its spring. out door cleanup and planting of the garden takes some time. I have a passion for hot peppers and large garden to grow them in.
In the mean time I have managed to put together the enclosure for the fuel cell in the trunk, but I lost use of the mig welder for now, so its all screwed in with sheet metal screws untill I can weld it in place.
Andrew

fuel cell enclosure 001.jpg

fuel cell enclosure 002.jpg

If your floor is going to be flat, just weld in some 3/4" or 1" square tubing from frame to frame. Weld you new floor on top.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I plan to drop the cell low enough into the trunk to allow for lowering the trunk to back seat divider.

Mopardude318, that is exactly what I wanna do to mine, I love that look for the trunk.

-
Back