Frame rail options

-
Sorry I don't know how my self pic got on there., just happy I got a car again to mess with ith

The A-body frame rails aren't all that hard to find. Probably why AMD doesn't make them. The only big that that changed from 67 up to 76 is the mounts for the bumper. 67-73 have two bolts for the standard bumper brackets, 75/76 have a single bolt for the shock mount bumper bracket, and '74 was a transition. Early '74's had one bolt for the shock bumpers, mid-'74 on had all three mounting locations so they'll work on anything. The mounting locations are captured nuts inside the frame rails. You can use rails with the "wrong" mount, but you'd have to work out a way to mount the front bumper. If you can weld it's not that big of a deal, and if you're swapping frame rails you can weld, so, it's not a huge deal. Just easier to have rails with the right mounts.

The A-body frame rails aren't all that hard to find. Probably why AMD doesn't make them. The only big that that changed from 67 up to 76 is the mounts for the bumper. 67-73 have two bolts for the standard bumper brackets, 75/76 have a single bolt for the shock mount bumper bracket, and '74 was a transition. Early '74's had one bolt for the shock bumpers, mid-'74 on had all three mounting locations so they'll work on anything. The mounting locations are captured nuts inside the frame rails. You can use rails with the "wrong" mount, but you'd have to work out a way to mount the front bumper. If you can weld it's not that big of a deal, and if you're swapping frame rails you can weld, so, it's not a huge deal. Just easier to have rails with the right mounts.

That I know. Sorry was talking about trying to find a set that's not rusted out etc. do you see a problem with the front track width being narrower than the back?

That I know. Sorry was talking about trying to find a set that's not rusted out etc. do you see a problem with the front track width being narrower than the back?

Like I said, frame rails pop up for sale all the time on here. Whitepunkonitro, crackedback, Lee Robinson, just to name a few sellers that have them pretty often.

As far as your car, I have no idea why anyone would move the rails and narrow the track that much. Sounds like a drag race abomination to me. Narrowing the track that much definitely wouldn't help handling, and who knows what the suspension geometry looks like now. I mean, it might be ok, but there's a whole lot of things that could be wrong with it. I'm guessing, but I bet it was a dedicated strip car with a set up like that.

Like I said, frame rails pop up for sale all the time on here. Whitepunkonitro, crackedback, Lee Robinson, just to name a few sellers that have them pretty often.

As far as your car, I have no idea why anyone would move the rails and narrow the track that much. Sounds like a drag race abomination to me. Narrowing the track that much definitely wouldn't help handling, and who knows what the suspension geometry looks like now. I mean, it might be ok, but there's a whole lot of things that could be wrong with it. I'm guessing, but I bet it was a dedicated strip car with a set up like that.
Thanks for the info. I will keep my eye open for a set. Dart swinger or duster etc will work right? Yes they used to race race this car. But seeing how who ever made the steering rack mount this way. I wouldn't want to drive it. Lol

Thanks for the info. I will keep my eye open for a set. Dart swinger or duster etc will work right? Yes they used to race race this car. But seeing how who ever made the steering rack mount this way. I wouldn't want to drive it. Lol

Yes all the front rails are the same, Duster, Demon, Dart, Barracuda, etc doesn't matter. Obviously if they were from a Barracuda they'd have the earlier bumper mounts. But it's a year thing not a model thing.

-
Back