Frame sagging?

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
So I was messing with the dart the other day, and noticed when I tried to close my passenger door, the glass was overlapping the rear glass by about an inch at the top...so if i slammed the door, i woulda shattered glass.

As far as I know this car was not wrecked, didn't notice this before I was working on my front (removed k, rebuild supension)..

Could I have bent the frame some how? I jacked it up and supported it on the front frame rails, didn't do that wrong.

Any ideas?
And what you think it would cost to take to frame shop, straighten it and then put in subframe connectors? Also, i am gonna be getting a frontend kit from HemiDenny....maybe I should wait till this is installed, before taking it to a shop. Don't want it being aligned to an old K member, when im junking that setup.

Thanks in advance.

How does the door fit the opening. Nice & even on all edges? If the window seems to be the only problem then It can be adjusted.

If its not a glass adjustment I'd bet on the door hinges being shot. If you lift up on the door does it have a lot of play? If so time to rebuild the hinges.

the door fit is off, like when you go to close it, it is lower then it should be, the catch is lower then the striker ?bar? on the striker panel...gotta kinda push it hard and it will close...
as far as hinges, i did try to lift up on it, seems firm.

with that being said, hinges would be easy compared to frame shop and cheaper...
however with my plans for new k member, subframe connectors, and hemi...may be prudent at some point to get it on a rack and get her straight as can be.

for now thought I need a fix

is there a wider gap at the top front of the door compared to the bottom when it is just about closed? it should be easy to see if it is the door or the body folding up. im guessing its just the door unless the bottom is rusted out.

Ussually the body only sags because of rust. If the door was like that when you bought it and the hinges seem tight you may just need to adjust the door hinges .

Ya, i'll try to get pics up. I am actually at work right now, pulling a double shift. So I won't be home till about 11pm Mountain Time..
Thanks for the help so far, I'll try to get pics up.

from memory here, I want to say that with out forcing it to close, i wanna say there was a gap on the top of the window....that would lead me to believe hinges, yes?

I believe the top of the rocker is straight, and I would guess that any sag in the body would occur in this area, so the first thing I would do would be to put a straight edge along the sill area and see if there is any bowing, or at least difference from side to side.

Grant

Believe it or not Doors & Hinges can get "tweaked" When lifting a car up. Many believe that you should open the doors just a crack before lifting the car. If it was on stands or jacked up for a while, it could just be a simple hinge adjustment. Especially on the passenger side. If you adjust the hinges and it opens and closes nicely with no weird gaps then the next step is adjust the glass if it's still hitting.

Any cracks around the pin in the jamb? The hinges were so shot on my car that there was a dent on the inside, right below the window, from having to throw a shoulder at it to get it to open.

Going to paint it? If so, should just rebuild the hinges and put a reenforcing plate in behind the striker because if it is not cracked yet it will sooner or later.

ya, ultimately it will be painted, so ya. Redoing hinges and beefing it up might as well be added to the list, regardless.
Plus, I plan on shaving the door handles and doing the poplock setup.

best I could do for pics.

Attachments

• angle.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 203
  • door.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 211
  • door2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 209
  • glass.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 182
  • striker.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 185
The nylon rollers for the window regulator are most likely the issue there.
Been there, done that.
When one of the nylon roller breaks it will drop the glass edge down like that.

Look in the tracks at the rollers, and I'll bet you find some of them in pieces.

Rebuild the hinges. Mine was sagging like that. Needed to have the striker area repaired as well. Mine was bad enough I had a rather large dent on the inside of the door, below the window from having to throw a shoulder into it to get it to open.

well i guess that is good news, better to be a door and window, then frame.
I know rear glass is a real pain to roll up, almost kinda forcing/grinding...nothing makes sound of breaking yet. But I guess complete rebuild and adjustment would be good, considering I want power windows.
I'll adjust the doors after the subframe is done.

Thanks

-
Back