Freeze Plug Sludge

-

streetdak

Reaction score
I have noticed a freeze plug leaking after I put the motor back in my 73. So today I went out and plucked it out and noticed a diecent amount of rusty deposits and some sludge behind the freeze plug. I was able to pull some of it out with my finger, and its a little alarming. This motor has run really really well, i just pulled it out to paint it and paint the engine bay. It ran a tiny bit hot (bout 205-215) and that was before I was able to put a 160 thermo in.

Should I be fairly concerned about this, or will it all be able to come out with a good flushing? anyone come across this before?

the plug over the starter and in that same corner between the motor and trans is where that crap always seems to collect in small blocks... always change the plugs when you have the motor out. i wouldn't worry too much about it but i would flush it out as best you can.. maybe run some cleaner through it or use a flush kit on it. ya don't want it breaking loose wheil driving and clogging the rad..

The debrie settles to the bottom and collects. In the rear of the block is where you will find it. Chunks of stuff sometimes, depending on how much stopleak product has been poured in the radiater over the years.
Take a garden hose and spray nozzle under there and flush out as much as you can.
I remove a rear freeze plugs from both sides to flush.

i run the prestone anti rust stuff through my rad u dont even have to flush just leave in and it turns ur antifreeze a lil milky but cleans and coats with a rust inhibiting coating ive nvr had problems with this stuff

Found one of mine leaking last year also found the sludge and crap. Pull all the plugs flush the motor replace plugs with sealant around plugs good to go.

the plug over the starter and in that same corner between the motor and trans is where that crap always seems to collect in small blocks... always change the plugs when you have the motor out. i wouldn't worry too much about it but i would flush it out as best you can.. maybe run some cleaner through it or use a flush kit on it. ya don't want it breaking loose wheil driving and clogging the rad..

Well It was the 2nd closest one to the trans on the starter side, so thats the general area. It seems to be fairly fine in consistancy. Thanks for the help!

-
Back