fresh 383 oil type

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey guys i just broke in my 383. fairly stock hyd cam. I used 10W30 with a Lucus break in oil. my question is how long should i wait to drop the oil, and what type and wieght of oil should i run? Synthetic? Also i find that all my local stores dont have no specialty oils but Royal Purple and Lucus oils thanks

Stock,Hi volume pump ? Stock or increased rod/ main clearances? Standard oil with the Lucas break in additive has worked for me. I usually change the oil,after the 30-45 minute break in (what has worked for me). Thinking 10-40 or 15-40 Deli/Rotella standard clearances,20/50 for looser bearing clearances. Synthetic after the rings seat. Let's see how others chime in. FWIW, Valvoline VR1 non street legal oil,will have the zinc additives in the oil,check O'Reilly's.

Yes I would just go with VR1 regular silver bottle has plenty of zinc, they also make a " not for street use" that is more of a race oil and has very little detergent but the first type is what I would use it's sold everywhere, autozone, napa, etc

Im a big fan of Mobil 1 15w50 after break in. I will probably break in my 6.1 Hemi with Rotella diesel oil, probably 5w40.

For an engine with a stock cam, not close to stock aftermarket, but STOCK, I'd say any 15-40 fleet oil (Deisel) is fine. If it has a cam of any kind in it, I'd second the VR1. Once you get the faster rate of lift cams, then the Not For Street use, Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, etc is what it needs.

Stock,Hi volume pump ? Stock or increased rod/ main clearances? Standard oil with the Lucas break in additive has worked for me. I usually change the oil,after the 30-45 minute break in (what has worked for me). Thinking 10-40 or 15-40 Deli/Rotella standard clearances,20/50 for looser bearing clearances. Synthetic after the rings seat. Let's see how others chime in. FWIW, Valvoline VR1 non street legal oil,will have the zinc additives in the oil,check O'Reilly's.

stock oil pump. std rods and mains clearences. 458 lift RR cam. thanks

I'm running rotella in my 360, and im still adding a bottle of Lucas break in oil. I have about 600 miles on my motor and everything seems good.

why Deisel oil over std engine oil?

-
Back