Fresh 727 Street Strip Trans S.B. Wont Drive

-
We Had problems with the First Pump As The Edge converter snout was a few thou more over a stock converter, We did all the spline counts 24, no didnt change the rear clutch pack, Not sure of the Years But My trans builder said you could not mix old and late model so he must know Thanx

QUALITY converter rebuilders always check the height of the hub and measure the diameter of the hub during the rebuild. There is no excuse for this lack of quality control. Even finished converter hubs prchased by rebuilders need to be checked and are checked by a good rebuilding shop.

Ive nearly had enough of this saga , Pulled the trans again because of the whine that I thought came fron The Edge Converter, Had the whole Trans pulled down again By another Trans Shop, He Checked everything clutch packs tolerences pump etc All was primo, He said he air tested it But How could he if there was no valve body in it ????, Then he said the fault was in the manual valve body, I had the Valve body stripped and cleaned as thats what I checked for blockage or restriction ,I had it laid out on my Bench in order, But it got mixed up then I threw it in a box and gave it to him , He said he could not put it together as All Manual Valve bodys are different and he wouldnt know how So He said he would put a standard valve body in, But I need to know if anyone has an internal assembly Diagram for the Cheetah 17156 Full manual reverse, Thanx

You cannot air pressure test it WITH the valve body installed. You have to have the valve body removed to air pressure test the trans. Hydraulic pressure testing is the opposite. Sorry, no idea on the Cheetah VB. I have exploded view pics of a stock valve body but the Cheetah is modded a bunch. You might try contacting TCI

:angry1::angry1:Dont Believe it Here We Go Again , Got the Whole Trans pulled down again Cleaned a Re- assembled By another Trans shop put it back in no drive as before Have put a standard Valve body back in all setup by the trans shop, Drives in all gears off the Ground and nothing on the ground I am so furious and Frustrated Feel like taking a hammer to it , Dont want to go through this again for a third time

Could it be the Fluid Type .??

Could it be a case of lock up or non Lock up Converter,??

Could it be the converter Itself ??

Could it be the Bolt in sprag incorrectly installed ??

:angry1::angry1:Dont Believe it Here We Go Again , Got the Whole Trans pulled down again Cleaned a Re- assembled By another Trans shop put it back in no drive as before Have put a standard Valve body back in all setup by the trans shop, Drives in all gears off the Ground and nothing on the ground I am so furious and Frustrated Feel like taking a hammer to it , Dont want to go through this again for a third time

Could it be the Fluid Type .??

Could it be a case of lock up or non Lock up Converter,??

Not positive but I know a lockup converter has a different spline count and won't engage onto a non-lockup shaft correctly. I'd like to say no but I guess it's possible if the lockup converter splines are larger and just sliding over the input shaft splines. That should have been obvious when you had it apart cause it'd tear up the splines.

Could it be the converter Itself ??

Could it be the Bolt in sprag incorrectly installed ??

I haven't seen anyone try to install one backwards so I'm no sure.

Does it drive in reverse? If so that rules out any converter problem(s)

Your old trans spun the sprag so everything was striped out of the trans and put into a new case?? Did a trans shop pull the guts and transfer to your new case? Was there no warranty on it?

Your old trans spun the sprag so everything was striped out of the trans and put into a new case?? Did a trans shop pull the guts and transfer to your new case? Was there no warranty on it?

Yep Old trans was Rubbish only salvaged the oil pump and Converter, Had a BB B&M trans and transferred the Internals all New , Had to use original pump and Convertor Thanx

I haven't seen anyone try to install one backwards so I'm no sure.

Does it drive in reverse? If so that rules out any converter problem(s)

Yes It reversed out initally but had nothing after that but then again once i got off the Flat garage floor the drive sloped so maybe I should have chocked the Wheel and try the Reverse but It drives in all gears on Jack stands , Wouldnt that rule out the converter, Its out again , So do I get a third trans Shop to tare it down again or just change the converter , Im still convinced its not the converter , And I dont trust anyone here to cut it open , It is an Edge Custom to my motor etc

Need to check the line pressures. You mentioned they re-used the pump. Is the pump shot? Does the pump match the trans? There are several pump stators base on the year of the trans. Just a thought....

If the sprag spun the pump should be replaced, and the converter is suspect, the trans shop will not warranty? Or did you change the parts over???

Please make sure that there is no contamination in the transmission cooler (either externally or the one in the rad), and the cooler lines. This crud will come from the transmission as it ate itself up. If there is any crud in the oil, it will also contaminate the converter. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

transman

Please make sure that there is no contamination in the transmission cooler (either externally or the one in the rad), and the cooler lines. This crud will come from the transmission as it ate itself up. If there is any crud in the oil, it will also contaminate the converter. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

transman

I have cleaned all Items at least three Times Items are Spottless It has to be in the Pump Re-action Support Or input Shaft, Just Went Back and Read through Some of the Reaction Shafts Have Three Holes some with like ball bearing in them then some input shafts have a oil hole in them,also there is A ninteen or 24 spline input shaft, All The Pump gears seem to be the same , has to be from the pump input shaft forward.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

:mumum:Ok Lets Summarise Had the Trans to two Trans shops The First asembled it The Second Tore it down and Re-checked it and r-assembled it and put the convertor home could find anything wrong said should all be good , but no out it came again same complaint no drive under load , so everything pointed to the converter , So sent that away had it cut open and it was like the day it came out of the shop, The only thing we noticed when we removed the third time is there was only half a litre of fluid in the converter, But the pump is fine

Where does this saga end :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Have you checked the line pressures yet? There are several ports on the case that you hook a gauge to while it's running.

Have you checked the line pressures yet? There are several ports on the case that you hook a gauge to while it's running.

Good suggestion. Especially since you say the converter had almost no fluid in it. There's got to be a reason it's not filling up and if it doesn't fill the car won't move. I'd check main line pressure first.

Good suggestion. Especially since you say the converter had almost no fluid in it. There's got to be a reason it's not filling up and if it doesn't fill the car won't move. I'd check main line pressure first.

Cannot Check the Pressures Until I put it Back in again The Guy who cut open the converter and Checked it , said That the Fluid was no getting past the raised bit on the stator shaft So he milled it down We have air tested everything again and everything clamps up, Im Baffled as the converter worked with the previous Trans , 3rd time lucky hopefully????????????????????????

Cannot Check the Pressures Until I put it Back in again The Guy who cut open the converter and Checked it , said That the Fluid was no getting past the raised bit on the stator shaft So he milled it down We have air tested everything again and everything clamps up, Im Baffled as the converter worked with the previous Trans , 3rd time lucky hopefully????????????????????????

That does sound odd that he says it was a problem but it worked previously. Hope that fixes it for you. I can only imagine the frustration

That does sound odd that he says it was a problem but it worked previously. Hope that fixes it for you. I can only imagine the frustration

Personally I do not think it will fix it But I had Three pro s Look, Dissassemble, Re assemble Modify Shaft etc, Heres Hoping It will work this Time But I have My Doubts, I rekon there is a Mis match in parts somewhere

Personally I do not think it will fix it But I had Three pro s Look, Dissassemble, Re assemble Modify Shaft etc, Heres Hoping It will work this Time But I have My Doubts, I rekon there is a Mis match in parts somewhere

Well Not Again Still no Drive , Why Oh Why , :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Swapped in Two Rebuilt Diff Heads To Make sure Its not the Diff

Brother at some point in time you have to cut your losses! Start with a different trans and save your sanity.

I'd do the same. Don't think I'd even use any parts from the old one (except maybe bolts) just to make sure.

Sorry to hear of the bad luck Irish

Will Never Interchange Internal Parts Again , But Strange thing is Driveshaft turns when on the ground which points to the diff, Im sure its not the diff as I have changed complete centres Axles Have not been Changed etc , But Why is the Drive shaft Turning ??????

-
Back