Fresh 727 Street Strip Trans S.B. Wont Drive

-
That is not possible, unless the axles are to short, wrong spline. Since you say you changed the third member out twice.

That is not possible, unless the axles are to short, wrong spline. Since you say you changed the third member out twice.

Axles are 28 inch Yukon have ran the same rear for years , This was a driving rear end , Axles go all the way home splines correct etc ,

Axles are 28 inch Yukon have ran the same rear for years , This was a driving rear end , Axles go all the way home splines correct etc ,

I don't get it. If everything in the rear is good, there is no way the drive shaft can turn with the car on the ground? Unless the yoke on one end or the other is stripped or wrong size?

Just noticed you said you have Yukon axles. A few yrs. ago a buddy of mine put a set in his A-body 8-3/4 and they seemed to bottom out but in reality they were just barely long enough to engage in inner set of side gears (engaged only about 1/4"). The first time he took it out and jumped on it the splines stripped off the end of the axles and it would no longer pull itself. When the rearend was jacked up the tires would turn, but not when on the ground. The driveshaft turned all the time.

I think I'd pull the axles out and have a look at the splines

Just noticed you said you have Yukon axles. A few yrs. ago a buddy of mine put a set in his A-body 8-3/4 and they seemed to bottom out but in reality they were just barely long enough to engage in inner set of side gears (engaged only about 1/4"). The first time he took it out and jumped on it the splines stripped off the end of the axles and it would no longer pull itself. When the rearend was jacked up the tires would turn, but not when on the ground. The driveshaft turned all the time.

Your right. I remember reading a thread on here about that very same thing!

Just so you know, I have seen axles snap off just inside of the bearing.
If you raise it off the ground and wiggle the wheels you can tell if thats what it is.

I could hear the trans shifting, and the speedo worked because the driveline was spinning.
When we put in on the lift I was watching the wheels as it came off the ground and I saw one wheel droop a little.

Yours is probably the splines like the others guys mentioned though.

Done That Axles and Splines all good , Thanx Fishy for all You advice all the Way

THe Common Denomineter Is Both Diff Heads Has that Centre Block that the Axles Butt up To Removed Due to having Green Bearings, That Meant They went Further home , Im still Convinced its the Trans Eventhough the Driveshaft is Turning ,

This doesn't make sense. The drive shaft CAN NOT turn if the car is sitting on the ground! Not without moving the car!

This doesn't make sense. The drive shaft CAN NOT turn if the car is sitting on the ground! Not without moving the car!

Nothing Makes sense , But We are now Working from the diff up to the Trans, now seeing I had the trans out three times But I know for a Fact the axle splines are fine and length was correct before the Block was removed and I did heaps of miles on it , Just one Thought maybe when the Block in the Pumpkin was Removed would the axle splines have past the side gears hence not meshing ?????

Not likely. If you can turn the driveshaft while the car is on the ground the problem is in the rear end.

Just one Thought maybe when the Block in the Pumpkin was Removed would the axle splines have past the side gears hence not meshing ?????

No. The splines on the axles cannot go past the diff side gears. Are you positive the axles are engaging in both side gears? If they don't the driveshaft will turn but the car won't move.

Not likely. If you can turn the driveshaft while the car is on the ground the problem is in the rear end.

Totally agree.

Irish, if the driveshaft is in fact turning like you say but the car isn't moving the problem is in the rearend. When the driveshaft is turning it means the transmission is working. If the driveshaft is turning but the car isn't moving it means there's a problem in the differential.

I think the op better investigate the rear axle. the last time my driveshaft turned and the car didn't move, I found a broken ring gear inside the housing

I think the op better investigate the rear axle. the last time my driveshaft turned and the car didn't move, I found a broken ring gear inside the housing

:supz::supz::cheers::cheers::cheers:Well finally got to the bottom of the no drive issue with my trans, truth be known it was not the trans, eventhough the converter was not filling up but it all worked with previous trans, I had suspected the transmission all along because it had a screech in reverse and the last time I pulled it there was no fluid in the converter, but the main issue it had no drive under load was because I had changed diff heads from cone type to clutch type both rebuilt but they had a different internal spline setup one was a two piece which the axles did not engage the second half of the two piece side gears, drove it home felt good just need longer axles to run clutch type diff, who would have thought there would be a difference only one person Dave Fishwick well done M8:supz::supz::supz::burnout::burnout::burnout:

-
Back