Fresh 904 with FMVB slipping.

-

74RR

Reaction score
So I picked up a rebuilt 904 and installed a forward manual valve body myself after I bought it. Seemed easy enough to install the valve body so I decided to do it myself.

On my first trip out it slips in the forward gears and doesn't shift firmly into any of the gears either. It does shift into reverse nicely though. Fluid level is where it should be.

I'm wondering if I missed something with the throttle pressure "pin" on top of the gear selector?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The throttle pressure has zero involvement with a manual valve body.
I have to wonder if it's the converter slipping, because if it was the trans slipping it'd be burned to hell by now.

Is the fluid burned or smell like smoke?

Nope fluid looks and smells fine.

Thanks for your reply

Are you/were you able to confirm that it ran and shifted fine before you put in the valve body? Many here will tell you that just because something was supposedly rebuilt it doesn't mean it was done right.

If so, put the old VB back in and see if the problems continue.

I was not able to confirm that it ran before I installed the manual valve body. I still have the old automatic VB. I'll put that in and see what happens.

Thank you.

In addition; the only way to do it right, is to do it yourself..

If you keep getting problems, pop the cork on that bad boy and go through it to make sure everything is well. There will be a smoking gun. Like a broken sealing ring, or a torn lip seal. Because someone, not gonna say who, slammed it back together in haste... Tighten up that end play while your at it; nobody wants a sloppy unit!

Like I said, if it was slipping it would be burned.
It only takes a couple of seconds, so that's why I think it the converter and not the trans.

Any experience with this converter or is it new to you?

It's PTC. I've had good experiences with them the past. This will be my 4th convertor from them.

......What brand is it?......A foreward pattern mvb does so need the tp linkage on or wired all the way back........kim......

It's a Cheetah foreward MVB. So I should wire the linkage back if I do not have the linkage hooked up?

Thank you for your reply

It's a Cheetah foreward MVB. So I should wire the linkage back if I do not have the linkage hooked up?

Thank you for your reply

I'm sorry, did I misunderstand and it DOES have the TP still active???

If so, the by all means it needs to be tied back at least half way if nothing else.
It'll be mushy as hell if it just sitting there disconnected and it's fry the trans.

Ok, I'll tie it back and see how she feels. Thanks!

Check your linkage adjustment; if you aren't in/on the detente it could slip.

Check your linkage adjustment; if you aren't in/on the detente it could slip.

Yep, it should feel spring loaded as it goes toward the back of the trans.
If it does, it's on the detent pin.

-
Back