Fresh third member setup question

-

moparmike98

Reaction score
So I had a local shop set up my third member and I feel it may be too tight. All new parts including the case, except for the spool. But when I go to turn it by hand, I can do it but there's a fair amount of resistance. Feels like turning a wheel with a brake dragging. Here's the pattern. With fresh gears, is it normal for things to be a bit tight before break in.

20230501_163104.jpg

20230501_163117.jpg

New bearings require a little more preload. If you have an inch/pound torque wrench, what the turning torque is. Should be around 25 to 30, IIRC.

Like I said I had a local shop do this because I don't have the specialty tools. I will call and ask what they set it at. Any other specs that would be good to know

Ask about the backlash then too. Pattern isn't"perfect" but acceptable.

So I just got off the phone with them and he said he set it up a little tighter for performance reasons. More of a competition set up I guess. Back lash .004, preload about 16-17 inch pounds and he didn't measure the turning torque

yes a properly rebuilt differential will have some resistance when turning ,, this is due to the preload on the pinion bearings as well as the preload on the carrier bearings ,, your gear pattern is perfect leave it alone ,, your backlash is on the low side but after you make a few runs it will open up a bit ( .002-.004 thou ) as the bearings run in ,,.pinion bearing preload should have been in the 20-25 in/lbs for new bearings but you should be ok ,,, just make sure you break in the differential properly as you can ruin the new bearings in a few minutes ,, i always include break in instructions with all the differentials i build and the shop you had build yours should have as well.

-
Back