fried fusable link

-

jpdbpd12

Reaction score
I hope some of you A-body guys can help out a totally lost B-body guy.
I parked my 74 roadrunner for a week and went on vacation, when I returned I tried to start the car, only to smoke the fusable link. I checked all the grounds, all the connections to the alternator, replaced the fusable link and the starter relay and still have the same problem. Any Ideas????????
Jim

Pull the gauge cluster out and look at the back of the ammeter gauge. The have a nasty habbit of melting.

I will thanks....If that is the case can I just bypass the gauge by jumping it, or is it more involved?

thanks for the info..... I was able to look up behind the dash and the gauge looks fine. no sign of melting at all. could it possibly the ignition switch? there seems to be alot of play in it.

Put a fuse connector where the link is while you hunt and peck for the problem.
Isolate parts of the wiring and see if it still blows the fuse. Then you can replace it while trouble shooting
But you probably already thought of this.

Ok, well then.
You know the type of connector, one that is inline and has a fuse holder.
Butt spice it in temp.
(I have run them permanently in cars).
Anyway if your fuseable link is 30 amps (for instance), just don't put a 50 amp fuse in.
Off the top of my head, I would guess the circuit goes from the link to the amp meter and then to the fuse box. Spliting there to unfused circuits, like your ignition switch and fused circuits like your head lights. But I'm not sure. I rely on prints a lot because of a bad memory.

I do know the type and will be trying this out in the morning....thanks alot.

I hope some of you A-body guys can help out a totally lost B-body guy.
I parked my 74 roadrunner for a week and went on vacation, when I returned I tried to start the car, only to smoke the fusable link. I checked all the grounds, all the connections to the alternator, replaced the fusable link and the starter relay and still have the same problem. Any Ideas????????
Jim
I had the same situation in my Pro Street Challenger a couple of weeks ago. Turned out it was the alternator - it had a major internal short and kept frying my fusible. I replaced the alternator - now no more problems (this after my entire wiring harness fried because the P.O. decided to eliminate the fusible link - a BIG No-No unless you install a fuse - but that's another story).

That's what happened with mine Gary. I have a '68 Valiant and when I got it I couldn't get the dash to work, no lights or instruments. When I went to look around I found that the wiring harness is somewhat melted and the wire from the alt is melted all the way passed the firewall. The PO also removed the fusible link and didn't replace it, not even with some type of fuse. I have asked around if an alt could cause it but I haven't gotten an answer yet. I bought a new voltage regulator, starter relay, balast resistor, and I did the cluster voltage regulator upgrade. I havent tried it again for fear its going to fry. But now that I read this I'm going to take my Alt to checkers and have them test it. jpdbpd12 if you get anymore answers post them, they would help me out along the way too, and any one else for that matter. Thanks-Dan

-
Back