Fried ignition switch?

-

Cuda_Carl

Reaction score
Ok..I will freely admit I cut a few corners to hear the engine in my project run. It's basically an engine stand while I do the body work. Here's the odd thing though.... Last year I put in the rebuilt 340 into my 68 cuda, hooked everything up (with new plugs and wires but 40 year old wiring) and it ran fine. Note - I added a Petronix electric ignition and 60amp alternator. It ran fine running it a few minutes every other week. Last week, I wanted to run it for a good bit (30 min) and about 10 min in the fusible link fried itself and when I went to turn the ignition off, the key turned but the car kept running. I got it to stop by pulling the fusible link apart.

Obviously I blew the fusible link, and melted the black wire out of the ignition to the alternator. But replacing just those didn't get the switch working. A) Think I fried the switch? B) Has it ever happened that turning the key off didn't turn the engine off?

My final admission - I didn't have an ammeter, so I linked the leads together as a bypass. I'll be getting one soon.

Sounds like you need to go through and update/upsize some of the main amp carrying systems.
The MAD electrical site has some good info like the bypass that could help you a lot also.

I choose to think you have wires melted together in the under dash harness. Contacts inside switches will normally burn open not closed.

I just had a bad engine fire from the throttle cable rubbing through the harness. I rebuilt all the engine harness with new wire and am still getting gremlins. Ohm out all the wire to the switch before hooking power up again and do a visual under the dash also for starters. Oh yeah change out the fusable link first.

-
Back