Friggin milkweed

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Got into a bunch of when I mowed 200' of my road front ditch.

Never bothered me before. Guess next time I'll wear jeans when I mow it, then change when I'm done.

IMG_20180610_085303.jpg

IMG_20180611_114212.jpg

IMG_20180611_114205.jpg

IMG_20180610_192059.jpg

Yeah, I never wear shorts cuttin grass. We got Canebrake rattlesnakes out here so I want some protection. Not to mention whatever might fly out from under the mower.

we got loads of stinging nettle here in my yard. Helps to wipe some Purell onto the rash.

I remember as a young kid field across from us had a buttload of milkweed. Learned in school Monarch butterflies laid eggs on them. I was checking the underside of them for weeks. Thought I struck gold when I found one with an egg on it lol.
Took plant home with me and threw the leaf in a jar. Went thru all the stages, chrysallis, caterpillar right thru to butterfly. Fed the caterpillar and eventually once butterfly let it go.
Still remembr it clearly, it was very cool.
I still look for them lol.
That looks itchy as FACK!

I've never heard of Milkweed. Is that as bad as Poison Oak/Ivy ?

I've never heard of Milkweed. Is that as bad as Poison Oak/Ivy ?

Not as bad, but then again, I used to weed whack poison ivy and never have a reaction.

It's stalk has a milky sap. That sap is what got me. I'd heard to caused a rash and chemical burns, but until this point I'd never had a reaction to it, either.

Either it's really potent because of the damned near perfect weather we've had for growing (plenty of rain, plenty of sun) or my body chemistry is changing as I grow older.

dbbb3c56a60327e1313bbcf11f4fdd10.jpg

Last edited:
I remember as a young kid field across from us had a buttload of milkweed. Learned in school Monarch butterflies laid eggs on them. I was checking the underside of them for weeks. Thought I struck gold when I found one with an egg on it lol.
Took plant home with me and threw the leaf in a jar. Went thru all the stages, chrysallis, caterpillar right thru to butterfly. Fed the caterpillar and eventually once butterfly let it go.
Still remembr it clearly, it was very cool.
I still look for them lol.
That looks itchy as FACK!

I agree and have given the caterpillars in jars with some leaves to many kids...they are overwhelmed with the results...It only takes a couple of weeks.
Most will not cut milkweed including me because of the Manarch die off in recent years and i know quite a few people who grow it in their flower gardens for the same reason.
I have never heard of it causing a rash.

Milkweed sap will cause some folks a lot of problems.
Milkweed had it's hayday though.
I wrote an interesting paper on it's "moment in the sun".
This isn't my paper, as you would need access credentials to read my stuff, but this article will give you an idea about what I wrote. Mine was more a 1st hand recollection from a person who participated in the collection.

Poison ivy and the like, clean it with liquid dishsoap, rinse, then apply a light coat of dishsoap, reapply as needed. Takes the itch away, at least it works for me.

My siblings and i used to eat that when we were little. It was pretty tasty, like clover, if i remember right.

Can you take Benadril?
I am highly allergic to Ivy, Sumac, and oak. I get a steroid pack from my doc.

I would if I had some.

Friend of mine asked if my new reaction might be med related, especially in light of the fact I don't bruise anymore. (As seen in a previous thread.) Gonna bring that up to the doc when I see him Monday.

Of course, now that everything is clearly defined, Nick wants to sit on my lap and poke at the blisters. Lol

I would if I had some.

Friend of mine asked if my new reaction might be med related, especially in light of the fact I don't bruise anymore. (As seen in a previous thread.) Gonna bring that up to the doc when I see him Monday.

Got any oatmeal.

-
Back