Front band damage

-

72Dart360

Reaction score
Why did this happen? I was on my third pass at the track and I lost second gear. Running 11.7 @115.

Attachments

• 1404931956916.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 185
cheap a-500 band. use a rigid 318 one or if you have the five disc drum try to find one from a 360, its wider.

Broke the Trans down today, noticed it has steel gears in the front and aluminum gears in the rear. Is this normal? Both are 4 pin. Also noticed a missing washer from behind the rear gears and the shaft is missing 2 seals. FML. The Trans part number is PK4505162. I think it's a 998 or 999. Both clutch packs have 4. Time for an overhaul.

Pictures

Attachments

• 1404948706818.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 180
  • 1404948753845.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 1404948796067.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 172
Sun gear has some wear. Is a new one required?

Absolutely.

There is no washer under the rear planet because it sits in the grooves and contacts gear steel on the wear surface.
In other words it doesn't need one there and it'll mess up your end play if you put one in.
Looks like one belongs in there though doesn't it?

Try putting your front washer under the planet and you will see how the planet won't go in all the way like it is supposed to.

"missing two seals on the shaft" has me wondering though.
What do you mean by that? (Picture?)

Sun gear has some wear. Is a new one required?
yea, that shell is a bit beat up. and after just a couple of passes hmmm..their a dime a dozen anyways. some of the aluminium rear planets didnt have that rear washer.i beleave if the rear ring gear hub was raised in the center, no washer. check end play before you put the drums in. do you have a fully manual valve body? if so, its ok to leave those rings off the govenor. to bad it wasnt a five clutch front drum. not enough room for the 360 band. use a sonax or superior band strut along with a rigid 318 band going back together. the sprag is acually a gm piece. i think there stronger than the early 904 ones. the steel front planet is better than the aluminium, but ive seen them blow up, so check the washers, the spline and the welds. so, just check everything else real close. there seems to be quite a few screw-ups.

Had plenty of free play at the input shaft. I called Cope and ordered a new kit. He was very helpful. Also placed an order for a lightened sun shell from TCS. My friend told me that those seals depend on valve body, I had a T/A full manual.

Hello FABO,
Did a search for PK4505162 and this was the only finding. Can anyone tell me what this trans would have come out of? Anything special about it? I just picked this up on craiglist in NM and was unable to find that number listed? It appears to be a lock up front shaft. Any info would be appreciated. Sorry, I was having trouble starting a new post so I just added to this old post.
attenuated

FYI you can put the pics in the post itself by using the 'Full image' button. Will get more views and responses.
20220210_201330.jpg

Pic from a Samsung S21 phone with its 100x zoom camera...cool! Image stabilization too.

-
Back