Front disc conversion

-

Herkman

Reaction score
My 71 340 now has power front drums. Do I need to replace my booster and proportioning valve to covert to front discs? Just want to do the fronts for now. Thanks

You don't now "have" a proportioning valve. You have a distribution block which also contains the piston/ shuttle warning switch--that fires with differential pressure between front and rear

You COULD just add an aftermarket valve going to the rear brakes, and as far as the master, you may not have to change it. The rear outlet, which feeds the front brakes--likely contains a residual pressure valve, and you can rupture or remove that for disc brakes. I'm not sure about master size

If you want to do this "as factory" you need the factory prop valve and master

Power booster can stay. Distribution block can stay if you add an adjustable proportioning valve the rear line. Or replace it with the later factory combination valve. Master cylinder should be changed, the drum brake MC has the reservoirs evenly split, on a disk MC the reservoir for the front disks is larger than the one for the rear drums. Unless the plan is 4 wheel disks, then it can stay if you remove or defeat the residual pressure valves (if they’re even there).

-
Back