Front end rebuild and disc conversion

-

dart0571

Reaction score
I'm planning a disc conversion and front rebuild for my 71' dart swinger I ordered the mopar conversion kit and upper control arms w/ball joints from www.performanceonline.com. It will convert the front to 74' 11" discs. While i'm at it i plan a rebuild/upgrade of the front suspension and wanted to check here before ordering my parts. My goal is a car that handles well in the corners but on a budget.

Front rebuild :

Torsion Bars: .93" I picked up two years ago off craigslist for $100 new

Upper control arm bushings: MOOG Part # K7103 Offset Bushing 2 kits 25.99 each

installed for increased caster per autoxcuda's instructions Here (i can do it too, Dan)

Lower control arm bushings: MOOG Part # K791 2 items 10.58 each these are rubber (I haven't heard the greatest things about poly)

Strut Rod bushing: MOOG Part # K7040 1 kit 26.79 each
(improved kit to make them easier to install, also I've heard the poly ones need to be cut down so I'm going with rubber)

Adjustment bolts:
MOOG Part # K8243A Cam Bolt Kit; Cam Bolt
Frt Susp; Upper Control Arm; adjustment range from -1-1/8 to 1-1/8 deg 2 kits 13.95 each

RAYBESTOS Part # 6161013 Professional Grade; Camber Adjust Kit
Front Suspension; Up To Plus / Minus 2-1/2 Degree Camber 4 kits 8.68 each

also an AC delco option??? help on this one!!! I've heard to go with Moog but the other manufacturers are offering greater camber adjustments. What do you guys think???

Tie rods:

11/16" from C-body
MOOG Part # ES352R Frt Strg; Outer 2 items 20.79 each
MOOG Part # ES355RL Frt Strg; Inner 2 items 20.79 each
MOOG Part # ES440S Adjusting Sleeve Frt Strg 2 items 15.17 each

I know the 11/16" will fit on the a-body anyone have an opinion on weather it might be worth going with a hotchkis or Firm feel solid adjusting sleeve?

also, later when i have more money i'll be doing rear springs, sway bars, and bilstein shocks.

Any suggestions are appreciated

-Jim

Ok guys i know that is a lot of reading so here are a few simple question. Which cam bolt kit should i buy? I would think moog is original but the raybestos one offers more adjustment, is it needed? Would you recommend solid tie rod adjusting sleeves? (is it worth the cost) I'm looking for you autocross / road race guys to chime in. I will post pics of my install in the spring, I'm just ordering stuff for now.

I see from your post that you are considering anti-sway bars. Good idea. Suggest that if you don't want to take it all apart later to add a front bar, get the LCA with the sway bar tabs already installed. Aftermarket sway bars usually use tabs that attach to the lower shock bolt. Most complaint that they are not up to the rigors of serious canyon carving.

Ok guys i know that is a lot of reading so here are a few simple question. Which cam bolt kit should i buy? I would think moog is original........

No, Chrysler is original.

.......but the raybestos one offers more adjustment, is it needed?

Unless the Raybestos kit requires changing the factory control arm mounts on the CAR, there's no way to get more adjustment other than the offset bushings, or different control arms. The factory cams or replacement cams already adjust the control arms to the maximum amount that the factory adjustment slots allow. So, unless you enlarge the slots the cam bolts go through and the brackets the cams adjust against, you'll get no more adjustment than the stock cams allow. In reality, the offset bushings allow for no more adjustment, they simply change WHERE the adjustment is made. By installing the bushings with the offset in a specific location, you simply taylor the adjustment range more specifically to suit what you are doing with the car.

Would you recommend solid tie rod adjusting sleeves? (is it worth the cost) I'm looking for you autocross / road race guys to chime in. I will post pics of my install in the spring, I'm just ordering stuff for now.

Yes. Cheap insurance if the car is intended for autocross type activity.

No, Chrysler is original.

Unless the Raybestos kit requires changing the factory control arm mounts on the CAR, there's no way to get more adjustment other than the offset bushings, or different control arms. The factory cams or replacement cams already adjust the control arms to the maximum amount that the factory adjustment slots allow. So, unless you enlarge the slots the cam bolts go through and the brackets the cams adjust against, you'll get no more adjustment than the stock cams allow. In reality, the offset bushings allow for no more adjustment, they simply change WHERE the adjustment is made. By installing the bushings with the offset in a specific location, you simply taylor the adjustment range more specifically to suit what you are doing with the car.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Unless they uncut the diameter of the bolt where it meets the frame clips. Went to look and sure enough...
http://www.streetperformance.com/part/raybestos/alignment-camber-kitbolt/2752635-616-1048.html

I suppose if you had a lathe you could do the same to the original bolts. Grinding the stock eccentric washers would be required also. A lot of work to save 15 bucks though. LOL

I plan i getting the boxing plates for the lower controll arms they cost like $25 and it gives me an excuse to weld but havent thought about getting factory sway bar lower controll arms...

Redfish, I dont think i really understand how the adjusters work i just saw those listed with more range. does it look like something that would work or are you guys saying no?

I'm here to learn keep the comments coming

-
Back